+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trout fishing on the Tay

Default Trout fishing on the Tay

You might find this short article interesting
    http://www.fish-wild.co.uk/index.php...=buspass&pid=2

Note the use of the Clouser and Woollie Bugger.

Hey Donald -

I was just wondering earlier today how you were / are doing. Nice to see you put up a current post.

My wife is absolutely dedicated to visiting Scotland one of these days. So stay well and keep your hand in it so I'll have someone to turn to, one Scot to another, when the time comes.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote from article: "If you happen to get a big silver one remember to return it - I do (but sometimes they look just like big troot)."

Sounds funny if you imagine a Scottish acsent.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nicolson View Post
    You might find this short article interesting
    http://www.fish-wild.co.uk/index.php...=buspass&pid=2

Note the use of the Clouser and Woollie Bugger.
    Nice article, Don. So the Woolly Bugger works in Scotland too.

In fact, it even works on chalkstreams in Hampshire. Or, um, I mean, so I've heard from some heathen that tried it. Not me, obviously, someone else. I was appalled, obviously.

Grouse

Blog Entries

Donald, I am delighted to see you post again. I hope that you are well and fit. I hope that you are already back at your vice, I mean vise, and tying until your heart is content.

warm regards,
    Ed

Blog Entries

Donald that is a great website. I was struck by how much the Black Pennel resembles the Doc Spratley a very popular fly around BC. I note they call it a buzzer imitation and that it is fished like a bob fly. Would bob fly mean a fly used under an indicator (bobber).

It gives me chills to think that someone would have to pay as much as Wullie did just to fish a stream. We here in Canada are used to fishing with no fees at all almost everywhere.
    It took me a while but I finally wrapped my brain around this bit of chat.

? So ah ken how tae avoid ye,? rejoined Wullie, ?an? if ye hud ony chance o? a tip it?s oot the windae noo?.

I doubt that I have ever taken a bus to go fishing.

I tied the Purple and snipe as per instructions with the exception of the hook type. Very quick and easy to tie. Nice fly. I will try it out when our waters melt this spring.

Sadly the biggoted fellow in the article "Something I said?" can also be found in Canada. He is not tolerated here either.

Thanks for the link to a really nice website. I have bookmarked it for the future. I echo what the others said it is good to see you posting again.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by The Famous Grouse View Post
    Nice article, Don. So the Woolly Bugger works in Scotland too.

In fact, it even works on chalkstreams in Hampshire. Or, um, I mean, so I've heard from some heathen that tried it. Not me, obviously, someone else. I was appalled, obviously.

Grouse
    Donald,
    I would like to add to Grouse's comments. I was appalled & shocked.
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

No Gnu Bee, a bob fly is the top fly in a team of flies, the one nearest the fly line.
    When short-line loch style fishing from a boat, the bob fly is fishing on the surface, just where the big midges
    (Buzzers)are liable to hatch. The word 'bobber' is not used here, we call them floats.

Blog Entries

Donald, I couldn't help but notice that you linked us to the article on accessing the Tay and not to the social commentary on "Embroid" (apparently this is the plural form?).

I am also saddened to read of the prices charged for a day's fishing. On the other hand, Tennessee has not salmon or sea trout, or sea coast.

Apparently wildlife ownership laws are different as well. In Tennessee all game and fish, except for those privately stocked, are property of the people of the state of Tennessee until such time as they are taken by legal hunting or fishing methods. Released fish are, in essence, gifted back to the state. Pity that it isn't a tax deductible gift... As I understand laws in the UK, game and fish are considered property of the landowner where the animal is at any given time. So if a stag crosses a property line, one owner looses him and the other gains him. I hope that the tax man stays well the heck away from such issues.

Again, I'm very glad to see you back on-line.

take care,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread