+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mustad Snap with Ring

Hybrid View

Default Mustad Snap with Ring

I am looking for a solution that will allow me to easily replace streamers and deer hair poppers without habing to spend time tying knots. I am using it for Northern Pike that are less than 30 inches long. The reason for this is that I have to use steel leader to prevent bite-off. I like the look of the Mustad Snap and Ring, product # 77145. (See below)

http://www.mustad.no/cataloque/product.php?id=202

What I can't find is specs as to strength of these and would like to know if anyone has the specs on these (sizes1,2 &3) or if anyone anicdotally can tell me how they work. Thanks,

jed

Nothing is listed in the catalog as far as breaking (or bending most likely in this case) strength. You'll probably have to wait for Dr. Fish to chime in with his experience. He's in the show mode, so it may be a while.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

We used to use those clips with "Frisky Flies" which were a molded plastic affair usually on about size 6 and 8 wet fly hooks. They used to be made by a man in Roseburg, Oregon. They provide an easy way to clip on the fly or lure and off many times without tying knots all the time. We had to use small pliers, or Hemos to clip and unclip them, as they are very stiff. As long as you are careful not to damage your leader right there at the knot when doing so, no worries. We always wanted to buy those, but could never find the manufacturer, or a supplier. They only came with the patented "Frisky Flies". We managed to get the fella to sell us a few etras one time, but he was so reluctant to that we never asked again. One came with each fly, and without them the action wasn't right. the room in the eye of the little hook allowed the "Frisky Fly" to move freely. The "Frisky Fly" was deadly for Steelhead on the North Umpqua and Rogue rivers at that time( around 1970) The Game Commission boys tightened up the fly only regs. since then to disallow such lures in fly only areas. I havent seen a "Frisky Fly" for years. If you can get those clips, I think you will have no trouble with breakage, we successfully caught many steelhead with them, and some up around the size you mentioned for pike. I think they would work well with large flies. As I recall the clips came in more than one size. I don't remember the fella's name who made the "Frisky Fly", I met him once when I was about 14 up at Steamboat lodge on the North Umpqua. He was in his late fifties or early sities then,
    He may no longer be with us. I am 51 now, so that was 37 years ago. His trademark line was "Frisky Flies for fine fishing" Some of the fellas on this forum may remember them. I f you can get those clips, they will likely be what you're looking for.....................ModocDan

"Some of the fellas on this forum may remember them."

Sure do ....I may even have some stashed in a box somewhere...

Re: the clips...[maybe not the ones with the frisky fly] ...the ones on the market now could be a little different in strength ,etc......seems to me I remember folks on previous threads saying they experienced sometime the fly...and fish....slipping off.....that's real anecdotal.

I use Kwik Klips by Al's Goldfish Lure Company on poppers and streamers.
    http://www.alsgoldfish.com/flyfishing.htm#kwickklips

Blog Entries

I have used clips very similar to those. They work fine and the higher up in size you go I think the heavier The wire they have. I have never had problems with them straightening or bending...However I stopped using them because occassionaly I would be casting and the fly would just come out of the ring and be lost forever. And that was happening somewhat frequently, so I ditched them and dubbed them crap for fly fishing. However They work nicely with jigs and ultralight spin fishing.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Hhhhhmmmm...these remind me of Gary La Fontaine's flex clips only without a "body" ....too bad ............these seem more delicate.
    Last edited by ducksterman; 01-27-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Jed,

I had the same problem with those fly clips that Chris had. They tend to get 'weak' or 'open up' after a bit of use and let the fly slip free. Initially, they looked promising, because they are so light, but I gave up on them.

What I do for the same application is make up my own 'wire leaders' from nylon covered wire, a small split ring for the tippet end, and a crosslock snap for the fly end. The crosslocks are light, strong, and won't inadvertantly sink your poppers. I used to buy premade ones, but I don't need the swivel they come with (causes topwaters to sink or work oddly) and most were too long for me. I find that I only need about a four inch leader to ensure 'bite off free' pike fishing.

I've never had a crosslock fail, but I'm usually only using 15 pound tippet and that will always break first.....

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread