+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage bass taper fly lines.

Blog Entries

Question Sage bass taper fly lines.

Okay another thread on this rod/line, but didnt think it went with other so heres this one.

Got my "The Fly Shop" catalog today and in the catalog they have the sage Bass lines for sale alone without the rod.

From the catalog (Page 34)
    Two powerful models(290&330 grains) characterized by a short, heavy belly and quick front taper for big flies and heavy leaders.

Now onto the pricing area of the lines,

This is how it is listed:

Description Models Line weights Color Price
    Bass taper 290&330 grains WF8-WF9 Yellow 65$

Now they are implying that the lines are 8-9 weight lines, Which many of you disagree with and have said it to be a 10-11 weight when you weighed the first 30ft??

So is the catalog misleading us
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Normand Guest

i'm not sure any of the "experts" on here can accurately give any of us the correct line weight due to the unique configuration of the line and not having even cast one.

it doesnt say on their web site if it equivalent to 8 or 9 wt lines

http://store.theflyshop.com/catalog/...oducts_id=3455

the best way to find out may be to send sage an email. they designed the lines, they should know.
    Last edited by Normand; 01-26-2008 at 11:10 AM.

"Okay another thread on this rod/line, but didnt think it went with other so heres this one. "

My question is why do we need "another" thread on this "beat to death" subject? If a person is interested in purchasing this equipment then they need to go to their local fly shop that handles it and ask their questions there. I guess I am just tired of reading all the "bashing" and "knick picking" of this particular product from Sage and any product from Orvis.

Sorry, but that is how I feel...
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

I'm not bashing it in any way whatsoever. I dont even plan on buying one, Just thought that maybe this could clear up some confusion about the actual line weight for someone who is considering buying the rod. And I was asking if the "catalog" is misleading us, not the sage company.

Your entitled to your opinion warren.

Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Smile Specialty Fly Lines

A line like a Bass line is a specialty line and does not necessarily conform to the ?standard norm? of fly lines.

Rio makes a variety of Specialty Fly Lines.

Their WF7F Bass line has a 30 foot weight of 185 grains and is built with a 6? tip, a 3?6? taper, a 10? Heavy Body and an 18? normal body before you get into the running line.

Their WF7F Clouser line has a 30 foot weight of 197 grains and is built with a 6? tip, a 3?6? taper, a 9?6? Heavy Body and a 21 foot normal body+.

Their WF7F Outbound line has a 30 foot weight of 275 grains and is built with a 7?6? taper, 8?6? Heavy Body and a 15 foot body before you hit the running line.

Go to Rio and check out their line up of lines.

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?fmCategory=3

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

"I guess I am just tired of reading all the "bashing" and "knick picking" of this particular product from Sage"

No bashing here, Warrenp. I'm planning on getting that rod, this summer. I checked it out, last fall and I thought it was an awesome rod. I liked the softer tip, with the stout mid and butt section. I didn't think it felt even remotely close to a 10wt. When I first heard about those rods, people were saying they were, basically, an 8wt and a 9wt, not a 10 or 11.

I think sagefisher nailed it.

pspaint,

I agree with you. I honestly feel this rod has its place and as soon as the warmer weather gets here, I plan to find out what that place is. Please be sure and let me know how it is working out for you. I really want to hear what others, who have fished this rod, think about it.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default 2 more cents

Sagefisher is sage. If you look at traditional lines, then 290 and 330 would be considered 10 and 11 wts. Sage advertises them as being like 8 and 9 wts, so I'm thinking that they do cast like those wts. I have a 6wt rod on which I first put Rio 6wt Bass Taper. The heavier taper is long. I then tried the Mastery Headstart 6 wt where the heavy part of the taper is shorter. I can do much shorter casts and I guess one might describe it as a 6-1/2 wt. This set-up fits me and my style. I guess what I'm trying to say is "each to his own". If you like it and it fits your style, then it is the right set-up. I used to work in a wine store and my rule was this - if you like it, then it's a great wine.

pspaint - I get to try them this Spring - can't wait. I've been tying some giant air resistent flies just to see what they'll do.

Warrenp, i'll definitely give you a report on it. From what i've seen, it should be sweet. I think it will come in handy in a number of different applications. Even with it's shorter length, I still think it will make a nice river rod.

Raw69, let us know how it works out for you. It be interested to see how it handles those big deer hair bugs.

+ Reply to Thread