Thread: MW/NE Rugged, Wilderness Sites (non ff)

Threaded View

Default MW/NE Rugged, Wilderness Sites (non ff)

(Mid West, North East)

All the talk on the board about trips being planned and bucket lists, etc. has really got me thinking about this upcoming spring, summer and fall.

I'm brand new to this part of the country and come from a place where really rugged, far away (seeming) Wilderness is less than a 30 minute drive away. I've done a fair amount of research on Ohio and just cannot find anything that is really 'Wilderness' that isn't a State Park. I've tried to do a little bit of searching around in neighboring states, but it all just seems so disappointing. I come from the Rocky Mountain/Desert state of Utah and I just can't seem to find something to replace what I had back home. I just know there's got to be some awesome places to go and awesome things to do in this part of the country--I can't seem to find them, though.

So, here is an opportunity to toot your state's horn. Know an amazing place that is unlike any other in the country that you consider truly wilderness? I'm talking about no campgrounds, no running water, no pump water. Just dirt, rocks, trees and water. Fishing is a plus, but not really a necessity.

Please, PLEASE share. I'm not asking you to share your near and dear places on the interent for all the freaks out there to see (unless you want to of course) so please email me or send me a PM if you don't want to post it. Or maybe a website that could help. I've checked most of the DNR websites for a lot of states and they're ok, but anythig that is user-based material is best. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Wild One; 01-15-2008 at 05:44 PM.
    Leave No Trace