Last year I had the privilege to go steelheading in British Columbia while on a business trip. While I caught some nice trout, I managed to hook into only one steelhead, and although he was on that spey rod for under a minute before throwing the hook, it was the biggest rush and thrill that I've ever had with a flyrod in my hand... almost a year later I can close my eyes and feel that rod come alive like it was yesterday.

That being said, I am anxious to learn more and get further into this sport. I've cut my teeth flyfishing for native brook trout in the little spring creeks of the Blue Ridge mountians in VA, so while I'm not new to flyfishing, my "big water" experience is somewhat limited.

So, why did I title this post "Steelhead 101"? That's the course I am wanting to take. I'm asking for help from the learned members of this community in building this thread into a steelhead primer. I am looking for general knowledge, advice, etc. I'm hoping to work in some trips to the Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York areas for Great Lakes steelies and am seeking guidance on where, when, and recommended guides and/or local shops.

Thanks

Mike