+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly shops in North Jersey?

Default fly shops in North Jersey?

Bamboozled's post nearly brought tears to my eyes. Thanks, I can remember a couple of those from my youth in Vermont. In the past 7 years living in Boston now north Jersey, I've watched a good fly shop close, two general outdoor stores discontinue their fishing sections, and now the Orvis on Rt. 17 is closing next Saturday!

Can anyone recommend a good shop in North Jersey or southern NY that's west of the Hudson?

I used to live (most of my childhood)in North Jersey. I still visit occasionally to drag one of my oldest friends out to fish (last year we fished the Ausable River upstate). However, you wanted to know where to find a fly shop in North Jersey; there is one on Rout 17 in Upper Saddle River (town not river) on the northbound side near the diner. I don't remember the name and it was closed on the afternoon that I visited. However, both Ramsey and Paramus have Ramsey Otdoor Store locations. They used to be the best general outdoor stores I knew of and they have pretty good fly shops in them. I purchased my first fishing poles and tackle and camp gear from them. Let us know if they are still any good.

The fly shop in Upper Saddle River is "Streams of Dreams".

There is also "Fly Fishing Plus" in Riverdale, NJ, and "Tight Lines" in Pine Brook, NJ.

Lots of guys like Shannon's in Califon, near the Ken Lockwood Gorge.

A bit farther south is Effinger's in Bound Brook -- lots of guys like that one also.

Ramsey Outdoors (featured in an episode of "The Sopranos") has locations in Paramus, in Roxbury near the Ledgewood circle, and, of course, Ramsey. The Paramus location is the best stocked of the three.

There is an Orvis store on route 17 either in Paramus or just north of Paramus.

[This message has been edited by BigFlatBrook (edited 29 July 2005).]

Oh yeah, you wanted a recommendation. Shannon's is under new management (the original owner passed away a couple of years ago and I believe the son sold the business). But the new ownership appears to be dedicated to making it a success.

Shannon's would be my recommendation although it may not be convenient distance-wise unless you fish the gorge. Sometimes the best one is the one closest to you.

FlyFishing Plus is currently in the process of closing its doors - as is Orvis.

As BigFlatbrook says,
    either of the 3 Ramsey stores, one is on 17 North in Paramus, the other is on 17 South in ( near ) Mahwah - look up Ramsey Outdoors on a search engine, Ray's on Rt 22, or Effingers, Tightlines on 46 West in Pinebrook ???, Streams of Dreams on 17 North
    and I hear that Shannon's in Califon ??? is nice but never been there.

Where in Jersey are you ?
    Are you a member of TU ?

------------------
    Knowledge is power ? Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
    ? Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
    The_Sib

If you can find Route I287 to exit-53 turn right on to hamburg turpike, to Post lane 10 postlane phone 1-973-835-6577.Flyfishing plus, is the name. While your there, ask for a free copy of the fly fishing guide. It has a lot of great info On area flyshops, for all the NorthEast. Pa, Ny, Nj, De, Md,Va, and Ct. looking at the stream pages and you will find a number that goes with the nearest Proshop. Use this to find other proshop near you.Good Luck with this.

Oldman

[This message has been edited by Oldman (edited 29 July 2005).]

Folks I was born and raised in Paramus and correct me if Im wrong but didn't Ramsey outdoor store buy out Morsan tents which later became Campmore??? or have I been away too long... FB.

I moved to NY a few years back. Tightlines had just opened before I moved. Two good guys were running it I hope they can stay afloat.

Ramseys is also very good. It is a sporting goods store, but they have guys that work the flyfishing section that are pretty good. I'm pretty sure they also give a discount to TU members (although its probably not on rods). I don't know about ownership, but campmor and Ramseys are definately two different stores.

jim

There are 3 listings for Ramsey Out door,one in North Paramus Phone 1-201-261-5000-one in Ramsey Nj,Phone number is 201-327-8141- Ledgewood Nj-973-584-7799.Hope this helps.

Oldman

Thanks for the tips. I've been going to Ramsey Outdoor, but have felt a little guilty about not supporting the little guy. I haven't been to Streams of Dreams in about 5 years and clearly caught them on a bad day when a disaffected member of the hired-help was manning the shop. I'll hafta try them again.

FYI, I think the Rt. 17 Orvis closes this Thursday. The closeout bargains were great last weekend, and they were still bringing out more stock, so you might do well to stop by.

+ Reply to Thread