Alright, alright.

First off, I'm new here so let me give a brief background: I began fly-fishing in March, eventually bought a slightly nicer rod(a Bass Pro outfit, an 8wt.) and realized this summer that I have been catching more small fish than large ones... and I'm not one to seek out the large ones.

Therefore, I'm looking at a 4 weight rod. Don't try and get me to buy a 5, I'm convinced of a 4. The biggest thing I'll ever be casting is a size 10 popper.

Now, I've cast so far two rods which were my main interests: The Orvis Superfine and the Sage TXL, both 4wt, both in lengths of 7'11".

The price difference is there, and if you are wondering, it does matter somewhat to me. But, I'm willing to pay more for a good rod that will last. Also, the warranty matters ? repair/replacement policy specifically.

But the Superfine seemed livelier, and I feel that on a fish, the Superfine would be livelier indeed.

Fishing for these Texas bluegills and little bass, and the occasional trout, I want something to make the fighting spirit of fish come out.

I'm just wanting opinions here on a good four weight. I'm not willing to spend more than 550 for the rod. Also, chime in on a reel if you know of a good one for less money. Total I'd like to keep the package under 700, including the line.

Input on other rods is welcome; although I've learned a lot in my few months of obsession, I don't know too much about rods, and I've only cast those two. If there is another rod I absolutely [i]have[/i[ to cast I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for any opinions and God Bless,

Marlin.

[This message has been edited by Marlin (edited 28 July 2005).]