+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a 4wt, OPINIONS anyone?

Marlin:

In addition to all the excellent suggestions you also might want to take a look at the Winston IBIS which is offered as a 4wt in 8'0"-9" It is 4 pieces and has a lifetime warrantee.

The line is being discontinued by Winston and many dealers are selling them for 20-30% off the list price of $295.

Just a thought...

Thanks ohiotuber but I'll have to pass on that offer, I don't want to feel rushed to grab a deal on a rod I may not really want. I also haven't cast any of those rods.

Jed, thanks for the suggestion, but I wouldn't insidiously slam the other manufacturers. Orvis hasn't been around so long for no reason, and some of their rods might be a bit overpriced, but they are American made and as "time tested" as anything else.

Sage, I can't comment on them, but they've met with as much approval as Orvis or any company much older than they.

I'll check out Elkhorn however, thanks for that suggestion.

Bamboozle, I'll look into the Winstons. I've heard great things about them, but don't know much personally. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Marlin (edited 29 July 2005).]

Marlin

Welcome to FAOL. Both Sage and Orvis make nice rods. I won't reccomend any others to you since that is not what you are asking.

I might suggest, that if possible, you try and cast both of them before you make your purchase. Try before you buy so to speak. If that's not possible, then I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.

Good luck!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Here's a couple of factors I don't see mentioned in the other posts.

Have you considered how difficult it is to cast light lines in the wind? A 3-weight is very frustrating to cast in the wind. Forget a 2-weight in those conditions. (I'm familiar with how stiff those Texas winds can be.) Those light rods work best sheltered, small stream conditions. We have those conditions in Jersey, but I don't think they are common in the Houston area. And, to be honest, I consider a four weight to be in that category as well.

The other thing you might consider is whether or not you'll be fishing from a float tube. That might be a likely thing for you to want to do in Houston. In that case, you might find yourself wanting a longer rod.

I'll preface this by saying I guide for a Redington shop......

I think the Redington RS3 is a great combo. I use for mey guide outfits and the hold up better than anything I have used in the past. Plus, the full outfit costs around $325.00.

Just my opinion.

------------------
    Ken

There is a fine line between fly fishing and and just standing in a river looking like and idiot.

anglerdave, I have cast both of them and like both of the rods quite a bit, even though the actions are very different.

BigFlatBrook, although the winds can get strong even where I live, they are nowhere near what you might be thinking of, which is more along the lines of central Texas, probably. In any case, the wind is not too bad most of the time, and even when the wind is up, I live in a very treed part of Houston.

Float tube? Not a chance. We've got more snakes, alligators, you name it, than just about anywhere in the country, and I'm not dangling my legs around a lake or pond without getting paid first.

Marlin, I agree with your preference of a 4wt to fish for bream and bass in Texas. That's exactly what I have been using for years in the same spots. I'll make two types of recommendations.

First, small stream recommendations for mostly warmwater fishing: Scott v2 8' 4wt or the Diamondglass 8' 4wt. The Scott is a great, affordable med-fast rod. The Diamondglass is a slower rod, but will feel pretty similar to that Superfine. Its a 3pc rod that goes for around $280. [url=http://www.thefullcreel.com:651fd]www.thefullcreel.com[/url:651fd] in Tyler has them and has a 14-day test drive program for online purchases.

Second, rods that will be great trout rods as well: Sage VPS Light 9' 4wt (my favorite ever, also a favorite of Gary LaFontaine, medium action with power in the butt), TFO Pro 9' or 8'6" 4wt, or the Scott G series 8'8" 4wt.

I would also recommend that whatever rod you get be a 3 or more piece rod so you can carry it on a plane trip.

It's a little known rod, but try the VPS Light. They're built on the same blank as Sage's old Light Line series, which are some of the most prized and sought after rods made.

For a reel, I would recommend the Ross Cimmaron, their CLA, their Rythym, a J Ryall, or a Galvan. All of these are high quality reels that are priced reasonably.

Cliff, good to hear from you. Didn't know you were around here.

Didn't know about that VPS Light, I'll have to give it a look.

I'd heard good things about the Ross reel and if I didn't get the Orvis rod, I might go with the Ross reel. I say that because if I buy the Superfine, I might as well buy the reel there as well.

Thanks for your input Cliff!

Marlin

I re read you post and saw that you did cast both rods and preferred the action and feel of the Orvis. Buy it!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I've got an Orvis Battenkill Barstock II on my 4 weight and love it. It's just the right size for a smaller rod and cheaper than a comparable Ross.

+ Reply to Thread