+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a 4wt, OPINIONS anyone?

Default Buying a 4wt, OPINIONS anyone?

Alright, alright.

First off, I'm new here so let me give a brief background: I began fly-fishing in March, eventually bought a slightly nicer rod(a Bass Pro outfit, an 8wt.) and realized this summer that I have been catching more small fish than large ones... and I'm not one to seek out the large ones.

Therefore, I'm looking at a 4 weight rod. Don't try and get me to buy a 5, I'm convinced of a 4. The biggest thing I'll ever be casting is a size 10 popper.

Now, I've cast so far two rods which were my main interests: The Orvis Superfine and the Sage TXL, both 4wt, both in lengths of 7'11".

The price difference is there, and if you are wondering, it does matter somewhat to me. But, I'm willing to pay more for a good rod that will last. Also, the warranty matters ? repair/replacement policy specifically.

But the Superfine seemed livelier, and I feel that on a fish, the Superfine would be livelier indeed.

Fishing for these Texas bluegills and little bass, and the occasional trout, I want something to make the fighting spirit of fish come out.

I'm just wanting opinions here on a good four weight. I'm not willing to spend more than 550 for the rod. Also, chime in on a reel if you know of a good one for less money. Total I'd like to keep the package under 700, including the line.

Input on other rods is welcome; although I've learned a lot in my few months of obsession, I don't know too much about rods, and I've only cast those two. If there is another rod I absolutely [i]have[/i[ to cast I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for any opinions and God Bless,

Marlin.

[This message has been edited by Marlin (edited 28 July 2005).]

Marlin-I would suggest that you try to find a new old stock Redington DFR 4 WT. (hand made in Florida by Dave F. Redington himself) Those particular rods are praised by those who own them. I was lucky to buy one when they were being made and sold by Redington. I liked it so much I tracked-down another on E-Bay and bought a spare. It is that good.

Everyone who has cast the DFR's have had good things to say about them-as far as I know.

So maybe you can find one at a bargain price new or used well below your target price. Gem of a rod...

Just a suggestion based upon my personal casting style etc...

Rich

Theres lots out there to be had...But seems to me,You've pretty much already settled on the Orvis rod....St Croix Ledgend Ultra,Diamondback,TFO...Good Luck...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

While it sounds like you are dead set on a 4wt, I would like to suggest even looking at 3wt's, or even 2wt's. The fish you want to target are smaller, and being that you are seeking to "bring the fighting spirit" of these fish out, the 3wt seems to me to be the deal. I started out about the same way, except with a 5wt, which was WAY too much rod for the bluegill/perch/crappie that I target most. So don't rule out the 3wt as an option.

Personally, my favorite rod is one of the cheaper Scott's, the V2 - they run about $160. I have the 6'6" 3wt that is great for bluegill. I prefer the shorter rods because its easier to get to tight spots with it. While its a faster rod than the Superfine you want, it still lays out line nice and delicate, especially when coupled with DT2F or DT3F Cortland 444.

You may also want to look at the Cabela's Clear Creek rods. While they are about $250 less than the Superfine and also made in Korea, they still have about the same action as the Superfines. I have the 7' 2wt, and prefer it over the 6'6" 2wt Superfine I almost bought. So a good medium action rod can be had for $100. Just ask RW - If anyone can recommend these rods to anyone its him. He uses the Clear Creek 1wt all the time.....

Happy Hunting,
    Jake

TFO TiCr is the way to go, mine is becoming my favorite rod.

If your main criteria is a livelier feel with a fish on you may want to consider a glass rod. It will take a little getting used to and you probably won't be able to cast quite as far but that slower action also seems to magnify the wiggle on the other end.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I wouldn't go with anything shorter than 8ft for 90% of the kind of fishing you're talking about. I'd actually go with a 8.5 ft rod. The newly re-designed Redington Rs3 4wt rod is about 65% as nice as any Sage rod, and costs aout 70% less!

------------------
    Jude
    Late to bed,
    Early to Rise,
    Guide all day,
    Tie more flies!
    www.customflys.com

I haven't thought at all about Redington, perhaps I'll give them a look.

But between the two, the Superfine and the Sage, what do you think is the better rod?

I see the Sage being so expensive not necessarily because of technology but because of it being new and shiny. I like the action of it because it's more of what I'm use to with my 8wt. super-fast, but the Superfine is smooth.

Now, I wouldn't mind going to a 3 wt. ??but I also plan to catch bass in excess of 3, 4 pounds on this rod... and so the 4wt. might do a lot better, eh? Not as much for the bass, but nonetheless the 3 or 4 pound bass are almost as common as the bluegill, and that's some of what I'll be catching. If it was ALL I'd be catching I know the 4wt. would be too small, but keeping the focus on bluegill with the bass as a looming shadow, don't you think 4wt is better than 3 because of that bass factor?

Also, it might be nice to have that extra kick to toss the bigger lures, occasionally a size 6 for the smaller bass.

Keep the suggestions/opinions coming, thanks, they are helpful!

[This message has been edited by Marlin (edited 28 July 2005).]

Marlin,
    First, wecome aboard!
    Second, I have friends who just closed a great little fly shop & chose to bypass an auction. They knocked 40% off all rods & reels. Last I knew (day before closing), they had 2 4 wt Scotts, some TFOs & St Croixs...if you're interested, shoot me an email (it's in my profile)& I'll put you in touch with Scott...I don't know which model the St Croix & Scotts were, but the TFOs were the $89.95 rod, which means they will be about $54.00...the only ones I am pretty sure are 4 wts are the Scotts (FINE rods!) & I think he has other 4 wts.
    I agree with you on the 4 wt decision with the flies you'll be tossing & target fish.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Elkhorn makes a nice rod and reel in the 4wt. series. I find them to be good quality and price combination. Of course if you feel obligated to spend more money for similar quality, then look elsewhere. They are a sponsor here for good reason... they passed the test of time and quality. LIfetime warranty! [url=http://www.elkhornrods.com:6e05c]www.elkhornrods.com[/url:6e05c] (a new website for them is under construction)

jed

+ Reply to Thread