+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trout Mortality

Default Trout Mortality

Here is a link to an interesting read on mortality rates for trout hooked on bait and spinners. While fly fishing is not mentioned one could assume fish loss might be slightly less than with bait or spinners. I was surprised by the low numbers.

Tim

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/science/inv...outHooking.pdf

Angry

I wish I could get these people who spend my tax money to do these surveys which will give useless results to come to my rivers and watch how the bait/spinner fishermen here release their trout. It goes something like this: grasp and squeeze trout is one hand and with the other hand you grasp the mono line and jerk the hooks out of the fish. If the fish, in your eyes, is large enough to keep you put it either in your 5 gallon bucket or on your chain stringer and if the fish is not large enough for you to keep you just throw it back into the water. I know this release technique is only used here where I live and does not happen anywhere else. Oh, I almost forgot, that if you go to the area where the bait/spinner fisherman has just left with his stringer/bucket of 7 legal daily fish, you can see several "just playing dead" trout lying on the river bottom that were just not large enough to keep or were culled out so the 7 that were kept would make the fisherman look impressive as they walked back to their vehicle.

Yes, this is a "sore spot" with me and I will now shut up....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

Warren P

Don't shut up! I have seen it also up north here and it "PI##eS me off to no end. If you look at the thread of mine that has "were it all happens" you will see a # of spoons and treble hooks all taken from the stream bank and from fish, DEAD Fish.

Those killing things will never see fish bearing water again!

Have not seen one yet with a FLY in its mouth .

just MHO

Damn I am trying to be quite for Ann and now will have to go for a walk..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

We make it too easy to acquire fishing licenses and marriage licenses. Neither requires any level of competency or knowledge of what you're getting into. You simply must be able to pay the fee. You fill in the rest.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    I wish I could get these people who spend my tax money to do these surveys which will give useless results to come to my rivers and watch how the bait/spinner fishermen here release their trout. It goes something like this: grasp and squeeze trout is one hand and with the other hand you grasp the mono line and jerk the hooks out of the fish. If the fish, in your eyes, is large enough to keep you put it either in your 5 gallon bucket or on your chain stringer and if the fish is not large enough for you to keep you just throw it back into the water. I know this release technique is only used here where I live and does not happen anywhere else. Oh, I almost forgot, that if you go to the area where the bait/spinner fisherman has just left with his stringer/bucket of 7 legal daily fish, you can see several "just playing dead" trout lying on the river bottom that were just not large enough to keep or were culled out so the 7 that were kept would make the fisherman look impressive as they walked back to their vehicle.

Yes, this is a "sore spot" with me and I will now shut up....
    Same here Warren! The yank and toss is my favorite, especially when the person looks at you afterward and tells you he's a tried and true c&r guy. I think that means Choke and Rip. Yep, that fish is gonna make it.

Unfortunately there are A$$#01*$ in every fishing discipline. Come to PA and visit some of the overcrowded Fly Fishing Only sections. You'll see more than a few dead trout there too not to mention some of the most unsportsmanlike behavior you will ever see ANYWHERE!

Maybe it's my dumb luck or the places I choose to fish but I have seen more dead trout on Catch & Release Fly Fishing Only streams than in ANY open water I fish.

I also have seen more than my share of bait & lure guys who handle and release their fish with as much care as many fly guys. They use single hook lures and pinch down their barbs. I run into them at some places where I fish which are wild trout waters. There concern for the resource is equal to mine except they choose to use different tackle to catch their fish.

The jerks that abound everywhere fortunately are the exception and not part of any number crunching which is why the mortality rate is as low as it is.

I'd like to add that Warren and I use "Katcum Release" tools and seldom touch the fish, they are back in the river in seconds!
    Warren is one very layed back guy, but just spend some time in the river with him when the "Fish Killers" are about!

I don't know about everyone here, but I first learned to love fishing by using spinning and then bait casters. I used them for most fish, except trout. If you use the right gear the right way and respect the animal your after I don't see the problem. Too many people lump spin casters as bad fishermen, not all spin casters are bad. Back when I used that gear I took pride in releasing fish that were healthy. I also bent my barbs down. While fishing I also carried a bag to put trash in (line, weights, bait containers) left by other lazy people. Those lazy people are not fisherman, because a true fisherman wouldn't have left trash behind. I don't feel it's the style of fishing being done, but the person doing it. If someone doesn't respect what they're doing, that's what causes the problem. It's up to us to teach the next generation the RIGHT way to fish. And respect nature. We're all in this together and need to work together to make this a better place than the way we found it.

+ Reply to Thread