+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great Vise being Discontinued!

Hybrid View

Exclamation Great Vise being Discontinued!

I just rec'd the 2008 ABEL catalog and noticed that the ABEL SUPREME FLY-TYING VISE
    is gone. On their website-it still lists them for sale; albeit discontinued. Sad really. It is a beautiful vise.

I usually tie on DynaKing vises. They are tried and true. A few years back Steve Abel demoed the ABEL SUPREME FLY-TYING VISE for me at a show. It had some great features yet at $500.00 it was out of my league. Last year I picked-up one of the discontinued aluminum versions for $150.00 less than the high-end deluxe brass model and it functions exactly the same. Glad I did now, since soon these will be impossible to purchase in either version. So if you have been thinking about getting one - better jump on them while they still offer them on-line at least. I had to wait around 6 weeks for mine. Steve Abel put a lot of thoughtful design work into his vise and it is a beauty IMO (He sold his company a few years ago).

Rich

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by flymaker2 View Post
    It had some great features yet at $500.00 it was out of my league.
    maybe thats why theyre gone! out of everybody else league too!

Deezel Guest

Maybe it's being discontinued to make way for the company's 'Pimp-My-Reel' reels.

Deezel

And with Abel selling last November, "to a group of private New York investors", it will be interesting to see what they do next!?
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just checked out the Abel site.

My interpretation is the Abel vise in brass & copper @ $795 is discontinued.

The Abel Aluminum / Stainless vise is available at the new price of $349 (was $500 retail).

Regards,
    FK

Has been a bunch of them on FleaBay recently, looks nice but I'd have to try one before I would pay that much.

Quote Originally Posted by FK View Post
    I just checked out the Abel site.

My interpretation is the Abel vise in brass & copper @ $795 is discontinued.

The Abel Aluminum / Stainless vise is available at the new price of $349 (was $500 retail).

Regards,
    FK
    They are all discontinued now I'm guessing. When I bought the aluminum model-Jeff Patterson told me that the model was discontinued. The upscale model was still available in 2007. So the fact that the vises are no longer listed in the 2008 print catalog tells us that you can only buy what is left on the shelf by purchasing them on-line.

The $350.00 sale price point on the aluminum model now puts this great vise in the range of other premium vises-while they last.

Anyways-putting the info out there to the tyers interested in a different vise.

Well, if anyone "can't live without one".... I got my Abel catalog yesterday and they're offering their "20th Anniversary fly reel", limited to only 100 being made, for a mere $1,000.00 ea.!
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    And with Abel selling last November, "to a group of private New York investors", it will be interesting to see what they do next!?
    Any idea who that group of investors was?

Wables;
    Below, is the press release, put out by Abel Automatics Inc. (Abel reel's real company name).....................
    (quote):
    Andrew Madoff and other private investors acquired Abel on November 9.
    November 15, 2007
    NEW YORK INVESTOR GROUP ACQUIRES ABEL AUTOMATICS INCORPORATED
    CAMARILLO, Calif. – A small group of private investors has acquired Abel Automatics, Inc. manufacturers of precision machined fly-fishing reels and fishing accessories, announced Don R. Swanson, president and chief operating officer. New York-based Abel Holdings LLC assumed control of the company Nov. 9.
    Financial terms of the private acquisition were not announced.
    Andrew Madoff, Abel Holdings LLC lead investor, said, “Abel’s 20-year legacy of unparalleled quality and performance makes it an attractive investment. As I’ve gotten to know the company through this process it has become clear that its most important assets are the people that create these excellent products. We’re thrilled to lend our expertise and join them in building this business and the Abel brand.
    “We will work with existing management to help refine all operations of the business, reposition it for growth, and maintain the manufacturing processes that allows Abel to produce the finest fly reels in the world.”
    Swanson, with Abel in various capacities since 1994, will continue to run the company day-to-day and assumes the title of president and chief operating officer. Representing Abel Holdings LLC, Madoff will be the CEO. Glen Krapff, chief designer, was named vice president; with Jeff Patterson director of sales. As a part of the transaction, both Swanson and Krapff became shareholders.
    Founded by Steve Abel as an independent machine job shop, the firm initially made precision screws, aerospace, computer and medical parts. A lifelong fisherman, Abel machined reels for family and friends and in 1988 produced their first fly reel for the growing sport fishing market.
    Today, Abel makes 37 sizes of fly reels in four models plus knives, pliers and other fly-fishing accessories.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread