+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Fishing Gear Review Web Sites

Hybrid View

1. Post Fly Fishing Gear Review Web Sites

Are there any web sites on the internet that provide an objective and honest evaluation of fly rods, fly reels and other fly fishing items? Most review web sites found when I did a web search just reiterated the "product sell language." I would appreciate some good objective sites. Please help. Thanks.

Good question -- I also would be interested in a site that objectively reviews rods, reels, etc. -- I'll be watching the answers

Blog Entries

Hey there WCU,
    You can find many "not trying to sell you something" reviews in peoples blogs.
    Go to http://blogsearch.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wb and just search for "fly reel reviews" or if you have a certain reel in mind then type in " Lamson Konic reviews" or whatever and you should get quite a few reviews.

I know that I have written a few reviews for certain recent purchases on my blog, I would think others do to.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Be specific about what you google (search for), detailed description of whatever your looking for. You will find Forums that are discussing a Rod, Reel or anything FF related.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Rod reviews are inherently subjective since each individual is different, has different preference, different skills, uses the rod under different conditions and so on.

The best attempts at somewhat objective reviews are those where a number of people test the same rod with the same line under the same conditions. Then you can at least a number of comparisons made under identical conditions.

With reel reviews, there can be some objectivity - you can test drags, startup force required, spin the spool on the machine to see how long the bearings hold up, etc. But again, much will be subjective because different people have different preferences - drag knob shape, handle shape and size, how fast or slow does the drag ramp up or back off as the knob is turned, outgoing or incoming sound or lack thereof, and so on.

The same even goes accessories.

Over the years I, by discussing things with people I know, or by watching the comments of certain bulletin board posters, I can get a feel for those individuals preferences and use them to evaluate reviews or comments that they make. So I can look at all those subjective reviews and often get a real good idea of how I might like a certain product.

+ Reply to Thread