Friends who have traveled there and those who live and breathe it every day -

My wife and I finally purchased our airline tix to Auckland last week. We arrive 10 March and depart 22 March. At this point we have several travel guides and I am in the process of acquiring a few fly fishin books, but would appreciate any input on where to fish and what gear to bring.

We'd like to fish rivers for both residents and sea-runs (if at all possible given our timing) but stillwaters are of course an option, too. Being the cheap SOB that I am I'd like to do this sans guide but will gladly take recommendations.

It would be great to meet up with any the Kiwi crew if you folks are willing and have the time! We're incredibly excited about spending our 2 weeks in paradise, hiking (er...tramping), fishing and taking in everything NZ has to offer. In addition, any recommendations for food and lodging would be wonderful - we're bed-and-breakfast inclined but are amenable to anything reasonable.

North Island/South Island, we plan to be all over the place so no suggestion would be too far-fetched.

Thanks in advance and we look forward to meeting up with you NZ boys in March!

Marty