I have been involved in Scouting for many years. Started in Cubs and eventually earned my Eagle award in May of 1952.
Liz and I had the opportunity to become involved on the National level last year. We donated a sizeable amount of top quality hackle which went in from the top and was distributed down through the councils and camps. I have been fascinated with the e-mails and letters we have received back. It blows my mind at the huge number of tiers that teach the merit badge. The count we received this past January was over 7,500 young men completed the merit badge, using our free hackle during the year of 2004.
This is an ongoing thing for we here at Conranch. The numbers are not in yet for 2005 but sounds like it will pass the numbers of last year.
I was invited to attend the Scout Executive Fish In in New Mexico (Philmount Scout Ranch) last Sept. There were about 200 Executives attending/fly fishing that gathering. What an experience.
If you have or want to make the time to teach, there is always room for one more teacher. It gives one a very good feeling. Try it, you just may enjoy the time spent and who knows how far this Fly Fishing/Tying will reach in our present day mixed signals to our Youth.
Denny

------------------
Denny
Denny@conranch.com
Co-Owner Conranch Hackles