+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is minimum size of pond for good fishing?

Doublewide,
    WELCOME! Sorry, I missed this being your 1st post here. It's a great place, made even better by ol' nags like Jack to remind us when we've missed something. BTW, are you in Jack's vicinity? He & Warren are in Tullahoma.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Unhappy More People than Pond

As Rick said, smaller ponds can maintain a very good population of fish. My limited experience suggests that the problem is more the people who fish it. On small ponds, a couple of fisherman, particularly if they are using bait, can clean out just about every bass in the place if the fish are really hungry and feeding. I have a shallow pond of less than one acre which I have permission to fish once in a while. I arrived on a spring afternoon to find three teen "poachers" who had two five gallon buckets filled to overflowing with largemouth bass of all sizes. By the time I notified the owner, the teens and the fish were gone. The pond has never been the same and now contains hundreds of stunted brim. You really have to manage both people and fish. Keep all the brim and put back all the bass.

I think it more important to look at the prospected pond in terms of it's structure and layout....There is one particular Pond I visit that from first glance..one might just not bother tossing a line in it...As it's quite small...but deep! The spring creek that feeds it, Is seldom more than a trickle...But provides cooler temps in the heat of summer and good oxegenated water...and there are several spots that have ridges and other contour differences across the ponds length...This is my #1 choice for big bull gill fishing! and the larget Bass, I've encountered in this area...I'd guesstamate it's size at 1/2 to 1/3 acre.
    Last edited by billknepp; 01-21-2008 at 11:23 PM.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

8T,
    I agree, although I keep gills only a couple times a year from each small pond, & I release all 8 1/2" & over. Joe V & Mike C can attest to a fine average size of gills in these waters. I DO release ALL bass, & I DO NOT even fish these ponds when the bass are bedding. I'm not sure whether or not this makes a difference, but it sure isn't hurting these ponds, so I won't change.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

As you are starting to see from the above posts, it's not the size of the pond that matters as much as the right fish to fishfood ratio. I've fished furtile puddles (1/2 acre or less) that have given up some great fish and some thirty or forty acre lakes that were full of nothing but stunted crappies and bluegills no more than four inches long. Management is key. If you want big gills and crappie you need something else that will eat a lot of the little ones. By the same token, if you want big bass, you need to have plenty for them to eat. If done well, the two conditions can be reached simultaneously and will sustain each other as long as nothing happens to throw off the balance (i.e., keeping, or in some cases not keeping too many of one or the other when you fish the pond). I personally wouldn't put crappie in a small pond, but other than that I would echo the previously offered advise of consulting your local county extension agent for advice on the proper species mix for the water and habitat your pond contains.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Default pond

IF you want to put in crappie stock it with black crappie. Because they don't reproduce as fast as white crappie. So they all don't all become stunted as white but over time they will
    become stunted anyway.

I don't believe size has nearly as much to do with it as environment... have seen very small ponds (not much bigger than a very large swimming pool) that were spring fed with good feed support a strong population of 20"+ Bows...

Wow, lots of helpful responses! Thanks to all.

This is encouraging news. Makes me think that it may also be possible for me to own land with a pond or two in the future.

Blog Entries

Welcome Aboard, Doublewide. Normandy, TN....hmmmmm That wouldn't be Normandy by way of Hermitage, would it? Still, I can't fault your choice of locations. If Jack knows you, then I'm sure that I'll have the opportunity to meet you soon. Jack must like you, since he didn't say that you have to bring doughnuts.

Are you more of a warm water fly fisher, or more of a trout fisher? Either way, you're in a good spot. BTW, drag Jack up if you make it to TU meetings. I sometimes tie there and I could use the abuse, I mean, support....

Take care,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread