+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damsel fly nymphs

Hybrid View

Default Damsel fly nymphs

The normal damsel fly nymph tends to be rather thin a longish.
    Many of the ties for them look fat and juicy...even short.....granted the marabou used in most of them thins in the water...

Do any of you have any strong feelings as to which fishes better...
    slender or fat???????????????????

Normand Guest

damselfly nymphs vs dragonfly nymphs???

damselfly nymph (thin)

http://www.bugsurvey.nsw.gov.au/html...da-ny_col.html

vs

dragonfly nymph (fat and juicy)

http://www.bugsurvey.nsw.gov.au/html...-ny-b_col.html

Last edited by Normand; 01-21-2008 at 01:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Smile agree with norm

I agree with Norm. You are confusing them with dragonfly nymphs which are quite fatter and shorter. For my damsel nymphs I tie them about a size 8 or 10 an use a very slender marabou tail and body with big plastic nymph eyes. the eyes are usualy the same color about as the body but a little darker olive. I usually use light olive marabou labeled for woolly buggers wrapped around the shank with green wire for a ribbing. I think the eyes being bigger make a difference in nibbles and how the nymphs look when wet.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Duckster,

I've also noticed this.

The ones I tie are very similar to the one Normand posted. I think mine are on a bit longer shank, though. The damsel nymphs we have out here are very long and thin, and I try to mimic that as much as I can.

Never had much luck with dragon nymphs, though I did tie and fish a few of them.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

This post is not about Dragon fly nymphs .

Norm, note I said..."The normal damsel fly nymph tends to be rather thin a longish."....so we are in agreement...no confusion.
    Chris, try not to be too dogmatic..."You are confusing them with dragonfly nymphs "... I know the difference.

I have a rather large file of Damsel nymph fly patterns tied by a variety of tyers and many are relatively fat and short...

I also have a file on Dragon fly nymphs...with some pretty good patterns.....
    Believe I'll add Norm's pictures to both files ...his ties are always quality....

I'm working on a Damsel fly articulated pattern and I was wondering...as I asked originally...

"Do any of you have any strong feelings as to which fishes better...
    "

Probably the fish don't care and take those patterns for many things but I figured maybe some folks here would have some strong experiences.

BTW, Buddy, I'm thinking Dragon flies are harder to fish because they crawl around in the bottom debris most of the time.

Blog Entries

Sorry duckster, I meant to say I think in front of that but brain f!^@*@(ed it out of the message.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    T
    Believe I'll add Norm's pictures to both files ...his ties are always quality....
    they come from www.flyfishusa.com

I like the Marabou Damsel Nymph. Link below.

Marabou Damsel Nymph

But I like it in a size 10, wire rib, and all black flashback with small beadchain eyes. This one works well for me. I matched this nymph with the natural on my home waters. Although it is short, the abdomen narrows to long and thin looking like the natural when wet in the water. So I typically don't use the longer hooks which would make the abdomen and tail longer than the abdomen and tail of the natural for the same size. But that is just my preference.

I'm still looking for a good dragonfly nymph. I like the one Norm posted.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 01-21-2008 at 01:46 AM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I'm going to point out the incongruity of putting both bead chain, or even mono, eyes and a shell back on top of the hook.

Like a Clouser, if you put bead chain eyes on top of the hook, the fly will turn over and ride hook up. Just drop your fly in a bowl of water; you'll see this.

If you're going to put bead chain eyes on top of your hook, shouldn't you put the shell back underneath?

In his book Good Flies (which I feel is very under rated), John Gierach recommends using the Daiichi 1870. According to Gierach, the dip in the hook before the eye puts the bead chain below eye, which has the property of keeping the fly from rolling over.

Steven,

A very good point that most fly tyers miss.

I WANT my hook points upwards whenever possible on all my subsurface flies.

I tie my Damsels on TDE hooks with bead chain on 'top' of the shank so the fly will flip and ride hook up. I tie the wing case on the bottom of the shank (I don't use a shell back on the thorax) and thus 'on top' as the fly is fished.

I think many fly tyers overestimate the effect the 'bend' of the hook will have on how a fly will ride in the water. It takes only a very little weight to cause the fly to 'flip'.

The use of weight wrapped on the shank on any TDE hook will usually cause it to flip, and bead chain or dumbbells on the top of the hook shank certainly will.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread