+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Side mounted electric motor

Default Side mounted electric motor

I fish out of a 12' Jon boat. I also use an electric trolling motor. I'd really like to sit in the middle seat, but even with an extension handle for the motor it's too much of a stretch. Can anyone lend some information on what kind of performance I would loose with the motor mounted on the side of the boat rather than the stern?
    Thanks,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Other than looking kind of funny not much. I see them mounted on the side of the canoes all the time. The bihhest issue that I can see with this set up is the offset stearing. I think you will have to compensate a bit motor running parrarel to the boat would make it turn.

The other thing is to make one of the turns you will have to reach out of the boat which depending on the stability of the boat could cause some stability problems.

The best way to find out is to try it.

Another thing. If you reverse the head of the motor you might be able to mount it on the bow and steer from the middle seat with the extension. Just don't overload the front of the boat since that will degrade performance.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

L-Joe;
    I don't know, obviously, what sort of motor handle extension you're NOW using, but years ago I had a little fiberglass tri-hull boat of about 11' feet. I tried, every thing I could think of, at the time, to find way to sit in the middle seat and still run the 5.5Hp gas engine that I had.

Finally, watching another at a boat ramp, one day, I copied his idea of taking a piece of PVC plastic pipe, cutting it to the exact length that I needed, to sit where I wanted to, in my own boat and attached it to the tiller handle of my motor with a "corrugated" style radiator hose, with a hose clamp.
    The PVC pipe was attached to the radiator hose in the same manner, then I simply "glued a cap" onto the end of the PVC pipe, where I'd be holding it.

Because of the stiffness of the radiator hose, I could very easily adjust my speed, shift into neutral when needed, etc. Steering was also very easy, because of the flexible joint. Later, I did this same thing with a couple of electrics I've owned, over the years. I should mention, that when I first tried this, I used a "smooth" style of auto radiator hose, but because of the smooth construction, when I tried to turn a tight circle, the hose would "fold/kink" and became a real pain. The corrugated style hose didn't collapse, when bent to extremes.
    Maybe "looks a little weird", but it's light weight, CHEAP to make and it DID work very, very,well!??!
    Just an "Ideer"
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Default Side - hack trolling motor mount

I use a friends 14' aluminum river "sled" boat once in a while,, and mount my electric troller on the port side for the reasons you mentioned. It steers differently than with the outboard mounted on the transom, but it's not too bad. This is a river boat, with no keel, and steerage is a little tricky with no current to work with anyway. I would expect a jon to operate better, even with the motor on the side, as all the jons I've seen had a pretty good keel, or even several ribs running the length of the boat. this should give the boat good "direction" and what you plan to do should work O.K.
    Try it, nothin' bad's gonna happen.................................ModocDan

Joe;

It's no problem at all, I've had this set-up for years.

The first decent day we get, I'll uncover it an take good closeups for you. It's winterized at present, not much need for it here in S. Jersey.

I go tired of "spinning" in a breeze; that means with the battery, motor and my a** in the back, it rode with the bow somewhat raised and the wind could spin you like a top. So, from a friend's set-up I reversed the head on the trolling motor, ran red and black #8 wire up the gunwhale, mounted two studs (bolts) where you see them just over the registration number, put large battery terminals on the wire for the battery, retained the aligator clips on the motor and voila.......I sit in the front and everything balances out.

I also noticed that standing in the rear at the widest point was somewhat wobbly, but in the front at the narrowest point, I can rock the boat at will and it won't tip. Go figure.

Now, I forgot to mention, this is only the Lowe L'il Jon, 12x36.

When you're sitting, you reach out, without even straightening your full arms-length and stear or whatever, when you stand just adjust the motor handle up and you can cast, fish and adjust position with no problem.

I hope this helps, Joe. If you have any questions, email me at jsentell@snip.net and I'll be glad to help.

Regards, Jim

6. Default Side mounted electric

L-Joe

I've used a side mount for my electric motor on my 16' canoe for several years now and have had pretty fair performance with it. I will say that trying to make a tight turn, i.e. with the motor thrust to the side, is like trying to move a barn door in a hurricane. If you have the patience of a saint you will eventually get there. Other than that I really like having the motor at my side instead of behind me. If you find that you don't like having the thrust at the side, you might consider rigging up some type of remote cable controls.

fourwtflyfisher

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sentell View Post
    Joe;

It's no problem at all, I've had this set-up for years.

The first decent day we get, I'll uncover it an take good closeups for you. It's winterized at present, not much need for it here in S. Jersey.

I go tired of "spinning" in a breeze; that means with the battery, motor and my a** in the back, it rode with the bow somewhat raised and the wind could spin you like a top. So, from a friend's set-up I reversed the head on the trolling motor, ran red and black #8 wire up the gunwhale, mounted two studs (bolts) where you see them just over the registration number, put large battery terminals on the wire for the battery, retained the aligator clips on the motor and voila.......I sit in the front and everything balances out.

I also noticed that standing in the rear at the widest point was somewhat wobbly, but in the front at the narrowest point, I can rock the boat at will and it won't tip. Go figure.

Now, I forgot to mention, this is only the Lowe L'il Jon, 12x36.

When you're sitting, you reach out, without even straightening your full arms-length and stear or whatever, when you stand just adjust the motor handle up and you can cast, fish and adjust position with no problem.

I hope this helps, Joe. If you have any questions, email me at jsentell@snip.net and I'll be glad to help.

Regards, Jim
    WOW! Jim, that's my boat and exactly what I was looking for. I must have asked the right questions, because you answered them all. BINGO partner, and thanks.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Your welcome, Joe; you'll enjoy it.....

Jim

Default jon boat

I also fish from a 12 foot home made jon boat or skiff that I made. I find that if I put an extension on my battery wires and put the battery in the front on the right side of the boat I can sit or stand in the back half of the boat and fish comfortably.

I just picked up a Minn Kota 46# thrust today. As soon as the lakes thaw out and the snow goes away, I'll give it a try. I can hardly wait, but it's snowing again today.
    I think I'll keep the 24# thrust motor as a back-up though. The 46#'er comes with a weed chopping prop. That should help a lot in the bass water I like to frequent.
    COME ON SPRING!!!!!
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread