+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wf3 or dt3?

It's a Cabela's Three Forks 7'6" 3wt.

Blog Entries

Janus,
    I was using the SA GPX WF line on my 3Forks 3wt and switched to the SA XPS DT. I like the way the XPS line casts better.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I just ordered the peach colored Cortland 444 DT for mine. I have the same for my 4wt and it is great line. I had heard folks raving about how much better the peach line is than other colors of the same line and always thought "yeah, right" until I got hold of one and cast it. I don't know why, but the color seems to matter.

RickB -

Because its just "peachy" ???

John
    The fish are always right.

I have 3 different 3wts with different lines on all. I have two of the Three Forks, one with the 444 clasic peach DT3 and one with the cheapo line that came in the package. I like the 444, but honestly don't see lots of differences between them except that the cheapo line seems to float a little better. I also have a Cabelas LST 3wt with the GPX that came with it and like that combo a lot and can cast it much better than the others. I haven't tried switching the lines around to see if it makes a difference. I use the Three Forks with the 444 peach mostly in ponds for bluegills and bass and some catfish and it does fine. I use the LST for trout, throwing every thing from a #8 woolyburger to #12 Cracklebacks, to #22 cream midges and lots in between and it handles them all well. I guess it would be best to buy what you want and get used to it and make it fit your style rather than buying several $60 dollar lines and switching around.

nighthawk Guest

If I am in a situation where the fish are easily spooked and finesse/presentation are everything, its a DT all the way. Also if I am on a small, brush choked stream where my casts are less than 20' a WF seems self defeating to me.

Now get me on wide open waters or waters where I can get some distance then I go to my WF and Rocket tapers. If you really want that rod to load up fast try a Cortland 333 Rocket taper. Nice lines and won't break the bank either.

I like to carry one of each type on spare spools. That way I have almost all of my moods and fishing situations covered. Given enough practice you can get comfortable with any line. Practice as much as you can. As was said earlier find the one YOU are most comfortable with and go with it.

+ Reply to Thread