+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wf3 or dt3?

Default wf3 or dt3?

Wanted to put some new line on my 3wt right now I have a dt4 and it's fine but slows the rod down a bit. Heard the debates on wf vs. dt but was wondering if anyone uses a wf on their three weight? From my limited understanding of the lighter weights I have read that a DT is best suited for them..
    Janus

Boyyyyyyyyyy, Janus, THIS outta open up about 99.8 posts!!
    Everyone will have a GOOD reason, "WHY" they line their 3-4wts. with so and so taper and you bet............. I'm no different!! Well, God KNOWS, "I'm DIFFERENT', but we're talking fly lines, right?
    Anyhooooo. on all but three of my several light weights, I use WFs. I just like the way they load, better, that way due to their respective actions. If I want the so-called "finesse", that some claim, comes with the DTs, I either cast that way, or switch to a different leader/tippet set up.

On a couple of my 3wts and 4wts. I also have Wulff Triangle Taper "Long Belly" lines, which this year, I've learned to really like a lot. They'll cast with the load and weight of a WF, but also roll cast like a DT. And, even tho', Wulff doesn't promote this line, as such, I find it's a pretty decent little "wind cutter", as well!

Like, I said, everyone that weighs in on this is going to have their own opinions and they're ALL going to be the right opinions, too. Because we all like certain lines, on certain rods, for certain reasons. IF......... by any slim chance, you can take your rod to a fly shop and try out a few lines on it, I'd say will be the best way to make up your own mind, what you like and dislike!?!
    Good Luck!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Janus... you're talking about your Three Forks rod right?
    Good Luck
    I've tried WF3, a DT3 , a WF 4, and a DT 4.
    So far the 444 DT3 is the one the works best, but still....
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Default Wf3

I use a WF3 on my 3wt. For my casting style, I like the heavier taper. In fact, on my 5 and 6 wts I use the Mastery Headstart which is like having a 1/2 wt increase. If Headstart made a 3wt, I'd have it, too. But most important is what feels good to you.

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    Janus... you're talking about your Three Forks rod right?
    Good Luck
    I've tried WF3, a DT3 , a WF 4, and a DT 4.
    So far the 444 DT3 is the one the works best, but still....
    The best advice is from someone who knows the rod so don't listen to me

But Dud's recommendation illustrates that all lines and tapers are NOT created equal and despite what you hear; all DT/WF line tapers are NOT necessarily the same for the first 30 feet even within the same
    manufacturers.

Add to that confusion your own "feel" preference and typical application of your rod...

Bottom line; listen to Dudley or start experimenting.

For the record I use DT's on everything except my heavy line rigs because I like to ask for something the fly shop doesn't have so I can get out of there without spending any money.

Default WF3 vs DDT3

Janus
    I hope this helps because this works for me. If I'm fishing small streams or working in tight then I'll go with a DDT also if I'm strickly nymphing. For bigger rivers and streamer fishing I have my best luck with a WF. Honestly, your rod action and casting style will tell you what is best. Try both and see what best works for you. I hope this helps.
    I've never met a fish I didn't like

Dudley yes the three forks.
    I have a dt4 and a wf4 but nothing lighter the dt4 works well enough but, feels a bit sluggish when there is more than 20' in the air. Could be me could be my style...I bought some aircel line and actually really like it but they only go down to 4.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Janus

Janus -

I like a double taper lines on my 3wts because : (1) I use 3wts on smaller water where casting distance is not a factor ( and even when I use them on bigger water most of the fish I catch are within 20-30' ); (2) For my rods, a double taper loads better in close and is easier to roll cast and mend; and (3) Since I never get the middle 20-30' of line off the reel, when one end is worn, I can just swap ends and have a fresh fly line.

But so much depends on what is the "true" line weight for any given rod, the action of the rod and the preferred casting stroke of the individual, it is best to experiment with a variety of lines, and on the water if that is possible.

Good luck.

John
    The fish are always right.

Try the cortland 444 clear creck line. It is a fw but with smoother tapper (longer), It is a good compromise between the fw and dt lines. The lines comes in 4wt and smaller and it is great for small rods casting at moderate and short distances. I have mine in a legend ultra 3wt and I love it.

Martin
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

What is your 3 wt rod make and model?

+ Reply to Thread