+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some of my first trout in Nashville Tennessee

Talking Some of my first trout in Nashville Tennessee

Fished the Stones River, under the J Percy Priest Dam, today. Was a little chilly. Not to bad though.

Caught some trout on a soft hackle and my 3WT. Took some photos of two of them

Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

Looks like you're settling in real fine!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Ron,

Nice fish! In my younger days I caught alot of rockfish (striper) in that same location when the generators were going.

I hope you have the Caney Fork on your future radar. There's alot of fish to be caught there. Also, fishing the Cumberland (in Ky.) is not bad eaither.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

I drove over that bridge Monday morning going home from work. Right now I'm sitting in my cube about a mile from where you shot those pictures. If you stand there and face the dam, just up from the dam, on the right, is a park. There are often stripers feeding around that area in the dark of the morning. There are also often FF'ers wading in the lake around 4 or 5 AM.

BTW, I see more FF'ers chasing stockers just downstream of that bridge...

What time were you fishing. I might have driven right past you around 10:30 - 10:45 BTW,

Ed

gquails and EdD , thanks for the info.

Have plans for the Caney Fork. The realitor told me about Center Hill too. She likes trout fishing also.

Ed I was there between 1:30 and 4PM. They we'nt generating. Saw quite a few going after something on the surface. Didn't try a dry fly though.

Was in the Duck River with Jack H last week.

Can't wait to get this looking for houses done, so I can get all my stuff down here.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

Here's Ron knee deep in the Duck River down my way.

Now that looks fun and I love soft hackles. As a begging fly tier I find them easy and fun to tie, and mine look pretty good if I do say so myself.

Now if the weather would just warm up I could go out and see if the fish like them as much as I do. LOL
    Remember we all live down stream

Now, Scuba, from the past I KNOW you have a sense of humor.........so you'll also know, (I hope), that I'm not being mean, and/or, making REAL fun, but....................
    your quote, really caught my eye as a "true Freudian slip"...........
    "As a begging fly tier I find them easy and fun to tie, and mine look pretty good if I do say so myself."

Does this "slip", perhaps mean that; "instead of being a "BEGINNING fly tier", you're perhaps BEGGING for some nice wets, to be sent to you??
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    Now, Scuba, from the past I KNOW you have a sense of humor.........so you'll also know, (I hope), that I'm not being mean, and/or, making REAL fun, but....................
    your quote, really caught my eye as a "true Freudian slip"...........
    "As a begging fly tier I find them easy and fun to tie, and mine look pretty good if I do say so myself."

Does this "slip", perhaps mean that; "instead of being a "BEGINNING fly tier", you're perhaps BEGGING for some nice wets, to be sent to you??

flybinder you are right in the fact that I do have a great sense of humor .......
    but I do think my wet's are looking pretty good. Maybe not show flies but I do believe in my heart that the fish will like them.

That being said if you feel the need to send me loads of beautiful wet's or what the heck dry flies feel free to send a PM stating such a fact and I will send you my address and you can send me all you want. LOL

Tight Lines my Friend
    Remember we all live down stream

Hi Scubatim,

If you really like tying spiders (soft hackles) and winged wets, check out Donald's site. He has a great collection of wet fly patterns:

http://www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/

Also, for some historical patterns that still work a treat, check out the Pritt patterns and Edmonds and Lee's patterns listed at:
    http://www.wetfly.co.uk/

I've found Pritt's water cricket in yellow and with the black rib to be a very productive pattern on the rainbows in a spring creek I fish sometimes.

For the basic North country spider tie, the body extends back to just above the hook point (rather than the barb) and it is tied as slim as possible. The hackle is usully just one full turn of the feather (say partridge feather, or hen pheasant, etc), so it's a very sparse collar. This style of fly can be tied on light wire hooks (dry fly hooks) and fished in the surface film, just under the surface, or with a heavier hook, deeper.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread