+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What woud you do?

Default What woud you do?

Last week my bro-in-law asked me if we could go flyfishing sometime. Like I need an excuse. So, off we go. As we are fishing, we are both catching fish having a good time, I am watching him use my spare rod and reel. He is beating the daylights out of it. Whenever he puts it down to undo a tangle he just drops it is on the rocks, scraping the rod and reel. The rod and reel, in one day, have now more scratches in them than I have put in them in the last 3 years. I do not baby my equipment but I am mindful of their cost and their precision. Should I just let it ride or say, hey! get you own stuff if you want to go out again. In his own defence I do not know if he has priced any rods/reels let alone my spare Winston Ibis/Ross Evolution lately.

Rick

First time.....shame on him.
    Second time......shame on YOU!
    .....lee s.

tell him. Set the boundaries and guidelines now. Respect for another person's belongings seems basic, but I guess it is not.

I'd probably have said something to him the moment it became obvious that he was abusing my equipment, as he obviously didn't know any better, and needed to be told.

------------------
    Taxon
    [url=http://FlyfishingEntomology.com:30004]FlyfishingEntomology.com[/url:30004]

At the time we were having lots of fun and I convinced myself that I was just being real over-protective of my stuff. It was not until afterwards that I saw the scratches.
    Rick

he obviously knew no better. spin-casters cost about $25. i throw mine around, cause it means nothing to me.

let him know how important your stuff is, how expensive your stuff is, and set the limits. than, take him online and show him how much this stuff is worth. it will open eyes.

my $.02

------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

Yes, a gentle reminder should work assuming he is a decent kind of guy. If not, that should be the last time he uses your equipment. Keep in mind that some people just don't have the ability to give the attention to detail that others do.

jed

If he's not a fly fisherman he probably has no idea what some of this stuff costs. As another suggestion, how about his own "outfit" for his next birthday or Christmas. It'll be easier on your blood pressure!

RW here,

You gotta be kiddin JC!! I'd stick it in his face and ask him what junkyard he was brought up in. That's no different than lending a guy your car and having him bring it back with a dent in the fender and an empty tank of gas, and just sluffing it off as another day at the office. There are folks that just don't respect other people's things. In my family that wouldn't stand. Rj's bro-in-law was probably a brat when he was a kid and carried it over with him into adulthood. He'd never touch another thing of mine. Hey rj, If I was bigger than him I'd smack him around a little too.

He'd probably do the same thing to one of Kusse's cane rods. I shudder to even think about that........

Sheesh!! A Winston Rod and a Ross evolution? I'd get me a new brother-in-law. On the other hand, you said you just stood around and watched him do it. Shame on you too. I think you gotta carry some of the blame.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 28 July 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Wondering who feels as JC says they do on this site,Cause It sure is not me.....that said,You need to set Bro in-law straight.....Winston!!!!....Your SPARE is a Winston,,,Must be nice.....I'd have been in trouble with the law.Cause he'd have learn'd a thing or two of how to handle my equip...

I happen to have a bro in-law such as him...and he knows better than to even think of ask'in Me for squat......

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread