+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ross Evolution 0, 1, 2 Owners???

Default Ross Evolution 0, 1, 2 Owners???

Anyone have any experience putting a 3wt wff line on a RE size 0? I know it is rated for 1-3wt, does that leave room for any backing? I am not too worried about the amount of backing, but approx how much can it hold?

What about a 5wt wff line on a RE size 1? The RE size one is rated for 2-4, but has anyone tried to put a 5wt line on a size 1 with a little bit of backing?

What about a 7wt wff line on a RE size 2? The RE size one is rated for 4-6, but has anyone tried to put a 7wt line on a size 2 with a little bit of backing?

I have a 1 and 2, but I really want the 0 and I am just looking for a way to shift my larger lines down to smaller reels. The amount of backing isn't a huge deal, but I would like to put some on just in case. Any info would be appreciated.

Badger

Normand Guest

try it out yourself and let us know the results.

I will try the 5wt on the RE #1 tonight and see if it fits, but I don't have the #0 to try with my 3wt line or a 7wt line to try on the #2. Just thought someone might have already tried this and I can save the time of having to unspool the line and backing and then respooling.

Default Ross Evolution 0

I use the Evolution 0 for my 4 weight line. There is no problem with putting some backing on the Reel,can't tell you the exact footage of backing but it is more than just a few feet.
    You should have no problem with a 3 weight line on this reel.
    By the way,think this is a great reel and you will enjoy it's quality and performance.
    Tight Lines; Jerry

Thanks for the info Jerry. I just think the #0 looks cool because of the small size. Now just to see if the larger lines will fit on the smaller reels.

Sort of ditto on what Jerry said...

I have my Evo 0 spooled up with a DT2F which may be equal to the amount of "fill" you would get with a WF3F.

There is PLENTY of backing on the reel. You know, backing; that weird white string-like stuff I only see ONCE when I initially spool my line.

Here is the opposite side of the spectrum. Is it possible to put a 9wt wff line on the RE #3 that is rated for only up to a 7wt line?

So it looks like you can go one size over the recommended line weight, but is it possible to go 2wts?

I am going to spool up the #1 with the 5wt tonight and see how it fits.

Default RE;

I put 4w on my RE 1 and 5 w on my lightspeed one. Just got some gel spun backing that lays flat and I have had no problems at all with either set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Here is the opposite side of the spectrum. Is it possible to put a 9wt wff line on the RE #3 that is rated for only up to a 7wt line?
    I would THINK the LINE would fit because as the reels get larger and the fly line size goes up accordingly; the amount of backing someone requires would go up as well thereby leaving more room.

BUT...

If you are using a 9wt I have to assume the backing isn't just a spool filler and with none or too little on a fish that is capable of running...

...BOINK!!

I'd give it a whirl but wouldn't use it without a decent amount of backing on a 9wt worthy fish.

JMHO

I use the 9wt on mostly musky and bass. The backing is mainly as filler.

+ Reply to Thread