+ Reply to Thread

Thread: B.C. Fisheries Privatization Report Summary

Hybrid View

Default B.C. Fisheries Privatization Report Summary

Some interesting information about Commercial Fishing on the B.C. coast;http://www.conservefish.org/site/pub...ortsummary.pdf
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

Way back in the mid 1960's they did away with the "B" fishing fleet licences. It was supposed to force the fleet to become smaller with better boats and equipment. The result was licences skyrocketed in value overnight. People who already had an "A" Licence found that it paid them to just sell their "A" licence quit fishing and retire off the profits. Thus the fishing tradition of each generation going to sea was lost. Some of the people who bought them out were not fishermen but speculators. So even the licence left town.
    Even way back then everybody in the small villages knew that it would take from the rural areas and give to the big city guys. Slowly one by one the canneries where the fisherman wives worked began to shut down leaving unemployment it their wake. Its only taken 40 years for these geniuses to realize what We in the remote villages realized the first time they announced their great Idea.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Blog Entries

I think the same type of thing happened on the east coast and once the small time fishers were bought out the bigger boats and the stopping of the seal hunt,it caused the collapse of the fishery. Thus causing the lively hood of coastal towns to be changed forever.

When they stopped harvesting seals, the seals quickly out eat their food supply and now are in dire straits on both coasts.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

imagin that, another government program that had the opposite effect of the intended purpose. who would of thunk it.

+ Reply to Thread