+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig tieing

1. Default Jig tieing

I am new to tieing. Just started this year and I have been tieing jigs. I need some good paterens for tieing some jigs. I done a serch on this board and came up empty. Any help would be great. Thanks all.

Chris

Blog Entries

Skip48 should come to your rescue.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Also, what would be some good color combinations for crappie? I have some ideas, but an expert opinion will never get turned down. THANKS!

Zac

My two favorites that work on Crappie and trout are the "John Deere" and the "Beadspread".

The John Deere
    1/100 to 1/124 jig #10
    Head painted John Deere green with Yellow eye.
    Body: Olive Ultra Chanile
    Tail: Olive Marabou - Short and sparse.

Beadspread
    1/100 to 1/124 jig #10
    Head painted Cream color
    Body: Cream Ultra Chanile
    Tail: Cream marabou - Short and sparse

I like to fish them under a float or as a dropper. Sometimes I match the color with the thread and other times I use red. Doesn't really seem to make much of a difference.

Greg

Post Jigs

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid
    Also, what would be some good color combinations for crappie?
    Some folks like the micro-jigs but I usually just use the mini-jigs like 1/32 oz. mostly on an ultra light spinning rod for Specks. If the current is stronger, I sometimes use larger ones but I like the 1/32s mostly. I like white and also the green chartreuse commercial ones with marabou tails. I also tie a 1/32. Plain round head, pearl or iridescent braid body, and a gray tail of hackle barbs or small marabou. This one works well by itself on occasion. But I sometimes tip the jigs with live minnows also either under a float or just straight line depending on where the Specks are holding in the water column.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 01-14-2008 at 12:13 AM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Quote Originally Posted by cthompson View Post
    I am new to tieing. Just started this year and I have been tieing jigs. I need some good paterens for tieing some jigs. I done a serch on this board and came up empty. Any help would be great. Thanks all.

Chris
    That is because this is a fly tying board and not a jig tying board. You can PM me if you want some Jig info.

Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Skip48
    That is because this is a fly tying board and not a jig tying board. You can PM me if you want some Jig info.
    Skip has a point. But I don't think the Moderator Denny or the Administrators would get too upset if we go OT (Off Topic) only once in a while.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

My suggestion is that you spend a little time serching the fly archives on this site. Any fly pattern that has a cone head, bead chain or dumb bell eyes is basicly a jig. Then too many streamer patterns transfer well to jigs and may help you get inspired to create the next hot ticket pattern that finds its way back to the fly tyeing vices. Ideas dont recognize limits only people do.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Blog Entries

I have had good luck with an all black jig.
    Head: lacquered black
    Thread: black
    Tail: black bucktail
    Thorax: black hackle, over-sized and wet grade

Note that most lacquers that you buy for jig heads are not nearly as durable as Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails (SHHN), so use clear SHHN over your color to protect it. Let your color dry AND CURE for a couple of days before coating with SHHN.

Of course a lot of folks (self included) believe in bright day - bright fly, dark day - dark fly. You can take the basic pattern and change colors (white, yellow, chartreuese, olive, pink, red/white would be good starts). You can vary the size (weight) of the head. You can change tailing materials and use marabou or artic fox, neither of which is nearly as stiff as bucktail.

I do like the movement of having a thorax or collar of over-sized, soft hackle. It gives a great deal of movement to the jig. The stiff bucktail, not tyed too thick, gives added form.

To keep OT for fly-tying, one could do any or all of the above with beadheads, coneheads, barbell eyes, &/or beadchain eyes on some of the shorter, streamer and wet fly hooks.

Good luck,
    Ed

Chris I'm sorry that some feel a fly tied on a jig is not a true fly for this forum. Thats like some frown on trolling. They?5{rn---they are sometimes called bottom flies. Many patterns can be found by Google Jig Flies--and Jig Fly Patterns.

One of the best is http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com

At the bottom it shows Bottom Fly and Jig Patterns BILL
    Last edited by William Fitzgerald; 01-14-2008 at 11:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread