+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying for Spring?

Hybrid View

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Tying for Spring?

Hi Folks,

The warm water season is pretty much over for our Northern members and has slowed to a crawl for all but our deepest South members. I'm sitting at my tying bench and planning for the spring. I'm composing my mental list of replacement flies that I need to tie and new flies that I want to try. So far, it looks like I will start with a bunch of Czech nymphs, a couple dozen woolly buggers (plain and beadhead) in black or olive, a couple dozen Clousers in plain white and chartreuse/white and a dozen small Deceivers in plain white. I've still got a good supple of Gurgle Pops and Crease Flies so they're on the back burner for a while.

What have you got planned to refill your fly box and to experiment with in the upcoming Spring? 8T

Blog Entries

Smile HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Hi Folks,

The warm water season is pretty much over for our Northern members and has slowed to a crawl for all but our deepest South members. I'm sitting at my tying bench and planning for the spring. I'm composing my mental list of replacement flies that I need to tie and new flies that I want to try. So far, it looks like I will start with a bunch of Czech nymphs, a couple dozen woolly buggers (plain and beadhead) in black or olive, a couple dozen Clousers in plain white and chartreuse/white and a dozen small Deceivers in plain white. I've still got a good supple of Gurgle Pops and Crease Flies so they're on the back burner for a while.

What have you got planned to refill your fly box and to experiment with in the upcoming Spring? 8T
    I have a backtsock of so many trout flies that I decided to stop tying for a while. I simply feel like I have to many. I have plano boxes full of nymphs, dries and streamers. Each compartment in the box has at least half a dozen to a dozen flies in it.

So for now I have stopped tying until I at least donate some to fish and trees.

.....Those Czech nymphs look like fun to tie......Nevermind...
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

I tied this as an experiment tonight. It's an attempt to combine the attraction of a full dressed deer hair bug with the easy casting properties of a gurgler. If I still like it in a few days I'll tie some more.

I have been tying some Godlie Jr. also a few other flies. I need to get some of them tied up and send to Casting for Recovery.

Rick

Blog Entries

I have been working on some Cat's Whiskers. They have been working quite well below the dam at Texoma.

Default Great Smallie fly

This is a variation on the Cat's Whiskers. Use a bit of Rabbit for the tail, say Yellow. Then make the body two-tone by tying the back half with say White chenille and fisnishing with yellow. Instead of the hair trailer, tie in a few strands of silver flash cut just past the hook point. Finish with the bead chain eyes. You can mix and match any colors. The guy that created this fly calls it his spinnerbait fly. I've caught Smallies, Rockies, Gills, LM, and a Perch on this fly. Yeah, a Perch. I was in the Cuyahoga River.

I'm on a softy kick, and was so impressed with a fly Rick Z sent up as a surprise, one of his Goldies. I'm thrilled he has posted the FOW. Otherwise I have a variation of a Dremmel worm I'm working on mentally. A bass/northern fly combining a length of zonker strip with a Dremmel'd foam diving head. Otherwise, my typical fly box fillers. JGW

I'm thinking Crawdad this year!

Greg

streamers mostly, clousers, a few soft hackles, other than that I'm pretty well stocked and just waiting for a warming trend.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Beadchain-eyed wooley buggers

+ Reply to Thread