+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying With Arthritic Hands

Hybrid View

1. Default Tying With Arthritic Hands

I have a mission to find an answer for a friend who spends more time struggling with tying on flies than fishing. His hands are arthritic and in windy situations it's even more difficult. Ideas will be appreciated.

Have him use a threader, they can be found in the sewing section at most stores. They have a metal tab and a fine wire loop that easily goes through the eye of the fly, put the wire through the eye, put the leader in the big loop of the tool then pull the tool back through the eye. the fly will now be on the tippet. tie an easy knot like a triple surgeon slip knot & your all set.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Could also get a C&F DESIGN fly box with threaders. You load the threaders with flies then when needed. Slip the thread through the threader and pull the fly off. Line now through the eye of the fly.

This isn't the cheapest option and I have not used them but seems to me to be a wonderful design for those of us that can no longer see a fine tippet and 20 size or smaller eyes all that well without magnification.

Easiest knot That I know of is Davy's Knot. link below

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fields...666_10,00.html
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Lefty Kreh's new book "Fishing Knots" (the one that comes with a DVD) shows a method of connecting tippet to leader, and of connecting tippet to fly, using hemostats (forceps) to help assist with the know.

You can see both online, including video here:

www.flyfisherman.com/videos/hemostatknots/

The video on the DVD that comes with the book is better than the one on the Flyfisherman site, but you still get the idea.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 01-12-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjtroutbum View Post
    <snip>
    Easiest knot That I know of is Davy's Knot. link below

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fields...666_10,00.html
    Some of us know that as the knot out of the Midge Magic book... I use it regularly.

Ed

They also have those tiny clips that you can tie on to the line and then clip onto the fly. It isn't pretty but it is alot easier than anything else I can think of.

jed

I've found that clipping the fly in the hemostats helps a lot, it gives a much larger "handle" by which to hold the fly when threading the tippet through the eye and also while tying the fly. It serves the same purpose as the ty rite jr mentioned earlier without the need to carry another piece of equipment.

Jeff

He might also consider a knot tool for tying like the one at this link http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...tool&noImage=0 that will make tying on flies MUCH easier.

Jim Smith

9. Default Surgeon Slip Knot

Ray,

I'm familiar with the surgeon knot. But the way I tie it it doesn't slip down toward the fly. Instead it tightens to form a loop.

slough, it's fast and so easy to tie I can tie it easily in the dark. Put the fly on the tippet and slide it a few inches down the line, tie a double overhand loop on the tag end, now put the fly into the loop forming a triple loop now just pull it tight to the fly.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread