+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winter fishing

1. Default winter fishing

I was wonder how winter fly fishing is.I have not done it but it interests me.
    The reason i ask is because i have a river near by that is open all year round for fly fishing except for 3 months of the year.Its mostly a catch and release river but that dosn't matter to me if i can fish. It is not a tidal water area,and is specific on "one fly with one free swinging hook"ect...

I would be gratefull for any input.

Ps,cold weather is not a factor,if i get the chance to fish i will!

I, for one, love to winter fly fish. If you're dressed for the weather, and the water isn't "hard", the fish are going to cooperate. The crowds are far smaller (ie: non existent!!), so you've got the full run of the river! A couple things to keep in mind, if you're in snow or serious cold ... If you're wearing felt soled boots in the snow, expect to accumulate large amounts of snow on the bottoms of your boots. The tree branch you could walk under in warm weather may just whack you upside the head when you try to go under! And your guides will probably ice over when you strip line back in. Your next cast will probably go only a few inches! Other than that, it's wonderful!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I love it. The only problem is that you may not be able to fish as long as in warmer weather.
    Dress for it, and very important do not wait until your feet are too cold to stop fishing.

Respectfully,
    Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Blog Entries

Smile Winter fishing

I really like winter fishing in the rivers.

Studded felts are really handy to have, as ice can be a problem, or studded hard soles. If you don?t have those then there are several companies that make strap on ice chains for boots.

Depending on what river you are on, most likely you will be fishing differently than during the spring/summer/fall times. Hatches of insects are very short lived, mostly midges and some BWO?s, again depending on where you live. The hatches usually come off around mid-day and often the fish don?t key in on them.

Nymphing is the main style of winter fishing, that or chucking streamers. The fish are mostly feeding on nymphs that are down right on the bottom or on sculpin or smolts. Nymphing with a strike indicator is a great way to go, keeping your nymphs drag free and right on the bottom. Many stone fly nymphs are moving around and a good dropper would be a midge nymph emerger, or a San Juan Worm, or a BWO Nymph emerger.

Streamers tossed slightly upstream, with a reach cast and then a mend up stream works great in deeper water, with a slow strip retrieve, like a slow 2 foot strip, pause a second and do it again.

With both, once you have drifted totally down stream, let the flies climb up towards the surface, that is also a good time to get a strike.

Work the soft seams and the ledges under the water.

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

5. Default winter fishing

Thnks,all i have to do is get my license renewed and then get a chance to go.
    I have not fly fished for trout long enough to catch any trout.(i think thats mainly because the places i use to fish for trout were so tight in the woods)(and i ended up in defeat against the trees)
    When it comes to fishing with spinning gear bass and trout dont stand a chance,but the fly rod needs work.
    I have caught a few bass and panfish with the fly rod but not any trout, but as the saying goes "im good at fishing, its just the catching part that troubles me".
    So,i guess with a large amout of persistance and patience (patience?, i guess thats what 90% of fishing is)ill get them.

Thanks a lot though,i knew you could fish for trout in winter but i did not know if it was silly or not.

Thanks

KPH111FISHER ( the unofficial "Bass Master")(or so he thinks)Ok enough now.

Just to add a note to what others have said - the colder the water, the less the trout will move for whatever you are throwing in the water. Sometimes you almost have to hit them on the nose to get them to take anything. Carrying a thermometer and taking note of the water temp each time you fish will help you get an idea when you are more likely to catch fish in your local water.

Its not silly to fish in winter - but fortunately not many people know that, or are willing to put up with the conditions encountered. Like Betty said, you'll likely have the run of the river to yourself - except for the eagles, osprey, beaver, muskrats, deer, moose, ducks, geese, and, if you are really lucky, trumpeter swans !!!! You may work harder to catch fewer fish, but so what ? You'll catch memories that few people will ever have.
    The fish are always right.

7. Default winter fishing

Thanks,if i get a chance to fish then i will.

I'm also a fan of winter fishing. I've found that the fishing is best later in the day - especially if there is any sun at all to warm things up a bit. (Even a day with the highs below freezing). When nymphing, I like to fish a #12 scud and a #20 midge as a dropper. Some days one or the other will be more productive - other days it's a toss-up. I've also had success with a #20 or 22 midge fished dry.

The solitude you generally have is also a huge plus.......

9. Default

The biggest thing about winter fishing is finding the fish. They'll be in the deep and slow, and not moving too far to hit a nymph or streamer, so you'll have to bang it off their faces.

Once you find one, fish that area until you're absolutely bored of it. The fish stack up together in the best spot, so don't go leaving fish to find more!

Winter fishing is only good if you like three things, Solitude, natural beauty and catching fish.
    Trout season is closed during fall/winter in my home state so I make several trips each winter to fish. Mind the cold and dress appropriately and you'll find you are able to fish in temps far below freezing.
    Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread