+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Czech Nymphs

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Czech Nymphs

Hey folks! I've got a question for you. I just finished reading Steve Korbay's article on Czech Nymphs in the winter issue of Flyfishing and Tying Journal. It's very different than any method I have ever used and I would like to give it a try with appropriate flies. My question deals with the traditional Magic Shrimp Foil that is used on these nymphs. I don't have any magic foil and I don't want to buy any even if I could find it locally. What would you recommend as a substitute? I can't believe that this stuff is so special that the nymphs just wouldn't work without it and that some substitute isn't available. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 01-11-2008 at 08:13 AM.

8T,

I've never used 'Magic Shrimp Foil' and I've tied thousands of Czech nymphs.

Scud back, shrimp back, any stretchable plastic, even stuff cut from a plastic bag will work just fine. What I use is the clear stretch 'elastic' that they sell in the yardage stores for use in bathing suits. I split it in half and color it with a magic marker. For the under 'ribbing' I use Sulky tinsel (sold in the same place) that's basically thin colored plastic mylar type stuff on a spool. Comes in a good range of colors, but I use mostly greens, oranges, and pearl. Thin Flashabou or even krystal flash will also work.

Don't get too anal about the 'exact' patterns on these things. What I found to be 'critical' are: the use of lots of weight. Wrap the entire hook shank and double over it on the larger sizes. Keep colors simple. I tie olive, tan, and yellow only. Make sure that you use a dubbing with some sparkle to it. I looks just right through the plastic, giving the nymphs a subdued but unmistakable glimmer to them.

I tried some with and without the obvious color change fom the body to the head, and couldn't tell any difference to the fish in use. Now I just use a lighter color dubbing for the whole thing, and use a marker to darken it at the head before I warp the under rib.

I don't bother with legs. I used to pick out some dubbing at that point, but gave it up as the fish don't seem to care.

The key to this is the technique, not the flies. It works with heavily weighted hare's ears, prince nymphs, copper johns, etc.. I often use a really heavy stonefly nymph as the bottom fly (I mean REALLY heavy-you could cast it on a spinning rod). Use flies you have confidence in for your waters.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Normand Guest

a 1/8 wide strip from a glad sandwich bag is an excellent substitute. The original czech nymphs use salami skins for the shell back.(per the book)

if you can find the book in the USA, get it. it has the history of czech nymphing and lots of patterns. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Czech-Nymph-.../dp/8090388213

you dont need fancy hooks from the czech republic either. simple scud hooks from tiemco, mustad etc are perfect.

you dont need fancy weighting for czech nymphs. ordinary lead/non lead wire is also perfect.

if ya gotta have magc foil heres a place in the USA to buy it: http://www.flytyingspecialties.com

Google "czech nymphs" for tons of info
    Last edited by Normand; 01-11-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Much Thanks!

Hi Normand and Buddy,

Thanks so much for your response on the Magic Foil question. My thinking runs very close to yours. After buying enough fly tying material to fill two eighteen-wheelers because I always wanted to have the prescribed, authentic material, I've gradually come to realize that 99% of the time, the fish don't care. Especially in free-stone streams and warm-water lakes just about anything will do if the size, shape, approximate color, and presentation are correct. I have become truly unanal about my fly tying material and it's much more fun (and much cheaper). Take care! 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 01-13-2008 at 11:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread