+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SA's Nymph or RIO Nymph line.

Default SA's Nymph or RIO Nymph line.

Anybody got any experience with either of these two lines? While I don't do much nymphing I think they may have applications for warm water. Both are suppose to throw bigger weighted flys.

The rod I'll be using it on his a St Croix LU 9' 6wt.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Why not go with the SA Bass taper line? That's precisely what it's made for.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

Because I don't intend on throwing bass bugs with this rod. I have an 8wt for that. I thinking more on the lines of large nymph/streamers with this rod.

But thanks anyway for your $.02.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

David

Thanks for the feed back. That is what I am looking for.

There might not be a whole lotta difference between the "nymph" and the "bass bug" tapers. I suppose the bass bug taper might taper off faster at the tip -- not sure.

In any case, I rarely make a cast of any significant distance when nymphing, and I don't think the taper matters all that much unless I'm casting beyond 30'. Consequently, a speciality nymph line would probably be wasted on me.

I got an SA nymph line "thrown in" with another line in an auction on EBAY. Used it on the Bighorn in June and I love it. Used it for indicator nymphing most of the time and it was easy to get the "bobber" and two fly's out even in the wind. Last day for about an hour i used it to toss HUGE cone head buggers to the bank. About 50'to 65' casts and i couldn't believe how well it worked. This was with a 5 wt. TFO Professional series rod. My .06 cents RC
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

Personally..I'd go with SA...no matter what the line...and if you feel you need this...Buy it...

I think most lines beyond WF,DT,Bass...are mostly brought on as another way to make Fisher's "FEEL" they could/would do better to have the "IT" line,I wonder of alot of things were lines are supposed to be Majorily different...or Specialty lines,just how much they truely are that....

I have a heavier Triangle Taper, I think a 7wt. intermeadiate...that I see no real reason to cal it tri anything...cause it sure feels as round in all sections as any S.A. line I own..Prolly why I don't use it....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

The Rio Clouser line might work for you too.

Jeff

------------------
    dead fish don't make reel music

I have the Rio Nymph line. It floats like no other. This is likely because of the welded loop on the end which is, by the way, a bright orange color. This is no dry fly line to be sure but it does a grand job at turning over large bulky flies, indicators and chunks of lead.
    The taper is such that it roll casts like a dream.
    Not a bad line at all but it is rather 'nitchy'.

I have used the SA Nymph line and studied the Rio Nymph. The SA line is a great longbelly wf line with a short front taper to assist in powerful turnover. I think it is actually the best line out there for roll casting and one handed spey casting. Its only drawback is that it is quite bulky and will occupy as much space on a reel as a gpx of the next size up.

The Rio line has a taper which is more similar to the SA XXD, with the exception of the front taper. The front taper on the line is only 3.5' and has a convex bullet shape to it. I would expect this to REALLY turn over powerfully. The welded loop will also help float the tip, something the SA nymph line did pretty well, but not perfectly and permanently.

+ Reply to Thread