+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 weight for smallies?

Hybrid View

Default 6 weight for smallies?

I am in the process of researching an upgrade for smallmouth fishing. The vast majority of my smallie fishing is river fishing, and I tend to toss flies with some weight or bulk. I wondered if there are options in the 6 weight class that would offer the backbone to toss the bigger flies without going to a heavier weight rod. I ocasionally get into better fish, but as you all know, alot of river smallie fishing involves those scrappy foot longers. My low rent pflueger 6 weight is plenty rod to land every smallie I have ever caught, but can be a struggle casting clousers, foam frogs, deer hair and such. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by Sagittarius62; 01-08-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Default Re: 6 weight for smallies?

Lots of folks here use a 6 wt. for largemouth bass which typically take larger flies than smallmouth so a 6 wt. should be fine for smallies. As far as specific rod recommendations I will defer to others as I have no experience with 6 wt. rods. I have a 4 wt, a three 5s, a couple of 7's, an 8 and a 9. Should have gotten a 6 too while I was at it.

www.elkhornflyrods.com
    They make a nice product and are a sponsor here as well.

jed

No reason not to buy whatever rod you like. Upgrading is always fun.

That being said, it's not the rod that will determine how well you can cast bulky flies.

It's the line.

I know some folks believe that you have to have a 7 weight rod to cast a 7 weight line. Not true, though, as the rod has no clue what weight line you use on it.

If you 'upgrade' to a 7 wt. WF 'bug' taper line, you will be able to cast larger, bulkier bugs easier that you will with the same line in a 6 wt. No reason you can't cast both with the same rod.

As you've noticed, a 6 weight rod is plenty for the fish you are catching. If you like your rod, then just get a 7 or 8 wt. line, and see if that makes casting your choice of flies easier.

If you really want a new rod, get a 6 wt. that you feel is an 'upgrade' then see if that makes a difference. If not, then put the 7 or 8 wt' line on THAT rod.....

Up to you. You could always buy a heavier rod, which will be too much for the fish, but then it would 'match' the line weight that the factory stamped on the rod.....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

I have a G.Loomis GL3 9' 6wt, that I really love. It has a nice strong backbone and a fast action. I have it lined with a Scientific Angler mastery GPX, which is 1/2 line weight heavier than a normal line. Really helps I find.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Buddy,

Thoughtful reply, thank you. Being pretty new to the fly fishing game, the rod/line question is something I know little about. Having read the opinions on the subject, it seems that some feel it is wise and others definitely do not. I personally could care less for convention, so if it works I'm all for it. My 6 wt. pflueger is the first rod I ever owned, and I have not been kind to it. I fished it constantly my first couple seasons, dragged it through the mud, and it lived in the back of the minivan. The ferrules are starting to split, and the middle section goes flying off from time to time. I know, use that wax! I learned my lesson. Luckily it was on an inexpensive rod. There, I now have justified getting a new rod. I have looked at the Sage Launch, and have read that is one model that smallmouth fishers like. I have never had the opportunity to cast any of these faster rods, so I am going on recommendations for now.

Chris thanks for that. I will do some research on that model.
    Last edited by Sagittarius62; 01-09-2008 at 12:42 AM.

If you have a buddy or a fly shop that has the new Sage Smallmouth Bass fly rod that you can test cast or test fish and see if it is what you are looking for that would be my suggestion. It only weighs in at 3.5 and is 7' 11" long and is a 4 pc. It will cast those heavier flies with no problem. It comes with its own fly line and the rod, case and fly line is around $350. You can use the line that comes with it or one of your choice. I won one in the FAOL monthly drawing and it is a joy to use and I like it. You would need to test cast one to see if it will fit your needs where you fish.

Just a suggestion and nothing more...
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

Like Buddy said, the line. Get yourself a bass bug line that will turn over bigger, bulkier stuff. And overlining can work quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius62 View Post
    I am in the process of researching an upgrade for smallmouth fishing. The vast majority of my smallie fishing is river fishing, and I tend to toss flies with some weight or bulk. I wondered if there are options in the 6 weight class that would offer the backbone to toss the bigger flies without going to a heavier weight rod. I ocasionally get into better fish, but as you all know, alot of river smallie fishing involves those scrappy foot longers. My low rent pflueger 6 weight is plenty rod to land every smallie I have ever caught, but can be a struggle casting clousers, foam frogs, deer hair and such. Any recommendations?
    Two years ago I bought a St Croix Avid 9' 6wt 4 pc, primarily for smallmouth. Although I tend to fish #8 Clousers, it has no problem throwing a #6 as well as some bigger deer hair poppers. I really like this rod. Not to mention St Croix is also a sponsor.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Thanks everyone, I will look into the Avid, and I am going to try overlining whatever rod I settle on. The Sage bass rods do look nice, but as I am just getting started on a rod collection, having one as specialized as they are, doesn't seem to be a wise investment right now.

+ Reply to Thread