+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Three forks 3wt reel seat.

Default Three forks 3wt reel seat.

Anyone have problems with reels not fitting in the uplocking ring of the reel seat? I'm having trouble fitting a cr-0001a reel wondering if I should grind down the feet or replace the uplocking ring. The clearance between the seat and ring seems really small to me.
    Janus

The Three Forks rods have a new reel seat as of this season... that's probably a good thing
    If it were me, I would rather switch out the reel seat rather than make any alterations to the reel foot.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Janus,

Unfortunitly, there are no 'standards' for reel seats or reel feet.

It's not uncommon for there to be a fitting problem with some reels/rods. Usually it's due to the reel foot end being 'blocky' or very squared. Most fly reel feet over the years were thin and tapered, and only in the last decade or so have we seen the advent of thicker feet (stronger?) made mostly from aluminum.

If your reel has this kind of foot, it certainly won't hurt it to grind it down to a more suitable taper to fit the reel seat on your rod. However, you'll have to decide if it's worth the hassle or if you'd rather just use a reel that actually fits the rod.

Changing the reel seat on the rod is certainly an option, and one you should consider if you are set on both using that particular reel on that rod, and you don't want to alter the reel. I'll assume you know how to do this.

Altering the reel would be the easiest 'fix' if you don't want to use another reel.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

i just got a three weight and an 8 weight rods and reels setup for christmas. both were three forks brand and they work perfectly fine so far. i already got out to practice casting them and they both work AMAZING. all i can say is make sure youre attaching the reel correctly. on mine, part of the reel slides into the cork section of the rod, while on my previous fly rods, there was a slider on both ends of where the reel goes to lock it in. so thats all i can come up with that the problem may be.

Thanks for the replies I will sand the taper down on the reel. It shouldn't be a problem. The reel is a bit bulky in the feet and it actually can fit with some elbow grease. BUt I did some research and it seems to be a common problem with the non '08 three forks. Great rod though worth the little bit of trouble.
    DDRRedneck500 you are right it is an inletted real seat.
    Janus

+ Reply to Thread