+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern New Mexico Fishing

Default Northern New Mexico Fishing

I am thinking about going to the area around Red River NM to fish for a few days the second week of August. I want to try the Cimmaron and Rio Costilla. Any advice and or other recommendations? Maybe the headwaters of the Red River?

I am thinking of camping on the cattle company area around the Costilla, what is it like?

I have been told that stimulators and hoppers rule that time of year, true?

Thanks,

Dan

I have not fly fished that area personally but it is beautiful country. We are just now getting into our monsoon season here so expect heavy thunderstorms almost every afternoon 2-5pm. Check with Jon Rainey at Los Rios anglers in Taos. They fish the Northern waters exclusively and can get you headed in the right direction.
    [url=http://www.losrios.com/chat/list.php?f=1:f0ba9]http://www.losrios.com/chat/list.php?f=1[/url:f0ba9]

I have a free pass for the Rio Costilla that is good for 3 days camping. I won it at our local club fund raiser. Value is about $30. I will give it to you if you want it. My schedule does'nt look like I will be able to use it.....so I would be happy to pass it along for free. All I ask is that you e-mail me fishing report and let me know how the fishing is in that area. E-mail me your address if you want me to send you the pass. I think it is good for two people. (it's at home and I'm at work right now)...

Also I would think you are on the right track with hoppers and stimulators. Also have some elk hair caddis and ants.

Have a nice day,

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

Hey Ozark:

Sorry no one got to you sooner for your answer. Check out the story archives here at this site, there is an article that I did on the Cimarron. The Rio Costilla fishes pretty much the same although the terrain is a little different; meadows vs. canyon. And, the Costilla has Cutthroats in it. Camping is available on RCCLA for a fee, you can pay at the Town of Costilla (turning onto Hwy 196 at it is on your right) 505 586 0542 or at the confluence of Rio Costilla and Latir Creek (self pay shack on right side). If you can pick up a copy of Rocky Mtns Game and Fish, there is an article on the Valle Vidal that I did for them. Don't hesitate in asking any questions. Good luck and bien venido. Thomas.

headwaters of the red are prolly barren of trout or at least they are very scant due to mining tailing pollution. however you can hike downstream from the hatchery or hike down canyon on one of the trails in the wild and scenic river area dropping in near the confluence of the red and rio g for some fine pocket water fishing.

rio costilla is an absolute blast for super speedy native cutthroats in some gorgeous country. you can't beat it. you can camp streamside and catch fish from your campsite.

that's prolly enough info to get you started. you can email me if you want more info, i.e. fly selection...though john may be a better source than I as he's a local.

mgj

The current (summer) edition of Southwest Flyfishing has a pretty good writeup on fishing the Cimmaron. Check for it at your favorite newsstand. The Taos area is loaded with small streams, some have bigger fish than you might anticipate. The Rio Grande has vehicle as well as walk in access if you want something larger. Allyn

Thanks folks,

What sizes of hoppers and stimulators, I assume 10 - 12 in yellow? What sizes on the elk hair?

Trucha, are there designated campsites or are you open to pitch a tent where you want? Also I have herd that they release water on Monday through Thursday, is it still fishable when they do?

Arkriver, I saw the article and that prompted this trip. The local fly shop (well sort of- it is a backpacking and climbing shop with some rods and stuff) suggested the Rio Costilla as he thought it was better. While I am in that area I want to give the Cimmaron a go as well. There is also a lake, I think it is Mid lake, above the town of Red River I want to check into.

Fishnfool, I have e-mailed you separately. Thanks for a most gracious offer.

mikeytwoshoes, I would like to hear your fly recommendations!

Thanks Dan

Give the Forest Supervisors office of the Carson National Forest in Taos a call and order forest map(s). That will help a lot in locating things. There are a lot of campgrounds but they may be quite busy until Sept. "Throw down" camping is more restricted that it used to be so you will need local current info. Its been many years since I worked on the Carson NF. I tried to find the phone# but could not locate it quickly. Allyn

I just got back from fishing for 10 days in that very area - the upper Red, the Costilla, the Cimarron, the lower Rio Hondo. The fishing was terrific. The Red and the Hondo have more water in them this year than in any of the last 20 years that I've been fishing there due to the exceptional snowfall and runoff. The Costilla and the Cimarron were also running better than for a while. They're finally letting some water out of Eagle Nest Lake and Costilla Resv.
    Size 12-14 Stimulators in yellow and orange worked great, as did size 14-16 Elk Hairs in olive or tan. Beadhead flashback PT's in sizes 14-18 worked well as a dropper along with caddis pupa in olive and creme in sizes 16-18. Honestly, it really didn't matter all that much what dropper you used. They were hungry.
    The cutts in the Costilla were bigger on average than in previous years. Caught alot in the 16 inch range. They hit about anything but they hit them quick so be ready. Stimulators are always good up there.
    The upper Red (in the upper canyon above the town of Red River all the way to the end of the paved road and on up) was also terrific. Caught many more browns this year than normally up there. Cased caddis were thick under the rocks and in the vegetation. Also...if you fish the upper Red in the evening be sure to have something big, bushy, and white. The pine moths were everywhere. I just used a plain white Elk Hair Caddis in size 12 and it ate them up.
    Good luck and be prepared for rain and sleet. Coming out of the Rio Hondo canyon one evening we saw a double rainbow that went from horizon to horizon. It was incredible.
    Wish I was going back (or still there).
    Joe

Dan,
    Just reread your part about the lake above Red River. I think that would be Middlefork Lake. Beautiful lake. They are working on the parking lot past the end of the paved road now (or they were last week) and the dirt road to the lot is closed to motor traffic so the 2 mile hike is now about a 3 mile one up the switchbacks. Tough for a lowlander like me but may be worth it, though.
    Last fall we fished Cabresto Lake above the town of Questa and caught a ton of brooks and cutthroats, but where we waded out 25 yards or so at the inlet is now under about 30 feet of water. The lake, we were told, actually came over the dam and "Little Cabresto Creek" wasn't so little. If you have a float tube it would be great, but we didn't and had to cast sideways along the bank. With all the trees the casts were only 30 feet or so. We still caught a few smallish brookies but it probably wasn't worth it without a boat. If you do go there were caddis flies all over the lake all day and the fish were rising to them constantly.
    If you fish the Costilla in the Valle Vidal go up to the Shuree Ponds. They are about 14 miles from the Costilla but the drive is magnificent and if you drive it just at first light you will see more elk than you can imagine. Caught a bunch of 18 to 25 inch stocked rainbows up there.
    Joe

Joe,

Outstanding report! Man I can hardly wait especially after a tough day at work like today. What where the average temps during the day and night? Also did you camp and if so where.

Thanks for the great info!

Dan

+ Reply to Thread