+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA "Fish-In" 2008 ?

Hybrid View

Question PA "Fish-In" 2008 ?

Is there any dates selected for the 2008 PA Fish-In? (Hint hint, bigdaddyrods !) Last year's Fish-In was so much fun that I don't want to miss one minute this year! Some employers require that vacation time be scheduled by the end of January to guarantee the requested time off (mine does). For anyone that plans on attending this event, it would be a good idea to start dieting RIGHT NOW to prepare for the inevitable results. Sure am glad I'm not too fired up about this.......

That sounds interesting. Where was it held last year?
    I think, therefore I fish.

The 2007 PA Fish-In was based at the Happy Acres Campground Lodge in Waterville. We fished Pine Creek, Little Pine Creek, Slate Run, and who knows where else everyone wound up. It was absolutely a blast! The lodge was spectacular - no one could possibly lie well enough to say we were "roughing it". The cost per person was extremely low, and it was a very well planned and run event. Nicest bunch of folks you'll ever meet. It is impossible to go away hungry - I gained FIVE POUNDS in one weekend. The accumulated fly fishing knowledge at that lodge was staggering! A terrific learning opportunity for anyone, at any skill level. Did I mention the food?

Talking

Sounds like someone is hungry for my steaks on the grill, or was it the deep fried tukey- no nevermind- that was someone else...I know, it was the warm peach cobbler with ice cream on top. Couldn't have been the breakfasts with bacon,eggs, homefries, pancakes and sausage.....
    OK nevermind the food. I called there three weeks ago and found out the first ten days for June are booked, so we have a problem. We can have the cabin from May 27 to 31. This is from tuesday after Memorial day til that Saturday morning. The new renters are coming that saturday. I'm getting spotty results back from the usual members. I think I have 5 or 6 so far. This is not do-able without having a minimum of 10 because of the fees. If I get 10, I then will let you know how much it will cost. The fee will probably cost the same as it did last year($125). Food will be the same old hum drum leftovers....
    I'll be having a meeting with my TU on tuesday night and see whats going on. Our newsletter will have the info and I expect to hear more from that.
    So- if you want to be included on this-email me ASAP so that I can put money down on our cabin to reserve it. rme50@hotmail.com

Randy

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Bigdadyrods,

I would be very interested in the PA Fish. Too bad I did not see this site until sometime in July 2007. I would have loved to have been part of last years fish in. I will only be able to make it for a couple of days, but it would be worth the $125 to be able to meet some fellow FAOLers and fish these legendary creeks. I am new to PA so I have only fished around the Philadelphia area so far.

Deezel Guest

Interested in hearing more but not yet ready to make a commitment. Also, not sure if I'd make a daily trek or stay somewhere close by. Appreciate it if you'd post any additional information as it develops.

Deezel

Hi Randy - In the interest of science, I freely sacrifice my svelte physique to provide stress test data on the seams of my waders. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Count me in!.......Ed

For any FAOL members that are thinking of attending a Fish-In, consider attending this one - you will not be disappointed!!!

Happy Acres Lodge 2007 PA Fish-In
    Last edited by Heritage Angler; 01-08-2008 at 03:34 AM.

Thanks Ed.
    I got your reply. I'll be counting on you to come and stay with us and use your photo skills. Maybe Jerry will also take part.
    Let me answer some of the questions for anyone that might be interested.
    We arrive at our lodge early. This is one spacious cabin. You can't beat it for the location. It holds 13 comfortably,very comfy. Two full baths. Huge dining and living room. Large wrap around deck.
    We strike out to the streams. Fishing is at it's peak. Now that we have the end of May, it'll be real good. We were running into warmer times in June. Little Pine ran 62 degrees when the temps were in the 80's. Ed will tell you, I'll put you on good fishing. Large browns that fight hard.
    We come back to eat in the PM. Let me tell you, you can't find a better meal within 50 miles. We all eat under one roof. Food ranges from Steak,deep fried turkey, smoked ham,home baked lasagna, with all the trimmings. We bake cobblers for desserts. Pineapple upside down cakes, cookies, etc.
    Breakfasts start at 5AM with eggs,bacon,ham,sausage,pancakes,homefries, coffee,toast,etc--Ed's not kidding about gaining weight. Most do when they leave.
    We fish again all day. We hit the Big Pine, Little Pine, Cedar & Slate runs, Kettle creek, White Deer, etc. You could litterly stay right in Little Pine and catch fish all day long.
    You can't beat the scenery, the beauty, the water, the fish...
    Cost is somewhere around $125 per person for all week. thats $25 @ day. Food costs $30 for the week per person.Thats it. Ask Empeekay from Md. He loved it. Ed now doesn't want to miss it. He couldn't believe what we serve for food for the price. Ask some of the locals,wetflyguy,dryflyguy,flyman3,just name a few.
    As far as the fall time, I tried that, no interest. I ended up being the only guy that went up. All the others went to Erie for steelies. Thats OK. More to myself. If you want to go in the fall, call me and I'll go up with you. Me and my sweetie go up all the time.

I'm very busy right now with other things right now. I'll make arrangements if I get more people. Problem is, once you call and make the arrangements, you give up a CC number and they take 50% for the booking immediately. So, I'm out the money. We can't wait too long, or the cabin will be booked to someone else.
    By tommorrow night, I'll know how many more from my TU that say yes. Don't wait too long.

Randy

nighthawk Guest

Why not a fall date like early to mid October? The scenery in the area is breathtaking at that time of year. Might entice some of those spouses to come and enjoy a fish-in too.

This sounds like a lot of fun and I am interested. I probably couldn't stay the whole week as I can't get that much time off. Are there weekends involved? Is this really open to everyone?

I too only found this forum recently. I've been flyfishing over 30 years and live in southeastern PA (transplanted there).

+ Reply to Thread