+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Montague project

Hybrid View

Default Montague project

Hi all,

I wanted to share with you my new project. It is a Montague cane 8.5 ft with several splits on the 4 pieces (3/2). I think that I have about 2 or 3 split per section. It has a crack in the male ferrule of the 2nd section and is missing the 2 guide (counting from the real seat). The real seat, cork are in veryt good shape and leght of the sections are original too. So, I thought that for $25 was a good deal, or at least will keep me entreteined during winter...
    I have a question for all you. I need to replace this male ferrule. Where can I get one, and do I need to change the female too? I also need to get the guide that is missing. The guide are of a black finished (except the tip top that are silver). I also would need a thread that fit the rod. The original thread is burgundy and gold. I ready to let the gold go.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

here is a slide show
    http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=82a981e1.pbw

or the pic are pasted here
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by malevo; 01-08-2008 at 03:38 AM.
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

just after saying the other day that I try to avoid golden *itch...
    they've got replica ferrules for old rods. they're pricey but the only option I know of. or you could find a guy who can make you a set. or go w/ standard ferrule set/

malevo,
    First measure the id of the female ferrule and let me know. I have a few NOS monty ferrules still kicking around. No promise but it's worth a shot. If not try Janns Netcraft. they have some Chrome plated ferrules that are close. Or ask around the board if anyone has some. Montys are known for split ferrules Second, the splits. the one in the third pic looks bad. the other two look like hook digs. overwrap them with some white silk and coat with flexcoat thinned out 25%. as for threaad if you want ot go with nylon most catalogs carry it in burgundy. silk is going to be a place like Anglers workshop. they carry ferrules also if you need to do one stop shopping.
    If you get stuck PM me.

Blur and Cheffy,
    Thanks for the tips. I will check those site and see what I can find there. I'm going home soon and will take measurments... The only thing that I measured was the outside diameter of the male ferrule (0.279 in) that is close to 18/64. I measured at the closest of the base as I could get before it gets thicker (away from the tip).
    Cheffy, yes this is the worst split since a tiny piece of wood is missing. But on the other hand it is not deep. It seems more to be scratched and not a split. The rest of the splits are normal ones and they are small (the longest is not more than 2 in).
    I will ask more question as the work progresses. I have some experience wrapping graphite, but this is my first boo project. Let see how does it go.

Martin

malevo

Here is a site that says he has orginal ferrules for your Monty:

http://www.ricksrods.com/components.html

Scroll down thw page a ways and the ferrules are listed there.

Brad

malevo
    I checked this morning. No 18/64 in my stock. I do have a couple of 16/64 but those wouldn't work.

Cheffy,
    That's great!! I think that the 18/64 is the right one for this rod. I noticed yesterday that I would need to reset the female too, since it is loose. So I will be taking them out as soon as I have some time (next weekend?). I took some more pics

One of the tip is not original

Some wraps are in good shape

Some other no so

The reel seat and handle are ok

Cheffy you have a ms

Martin

+ Reply to Thread