+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone Fished Lee's Ferry in the winter

Default Anyone Fished Lee's Ferry in the winter

I have a trip planned to fish Lee's Ferry in February. Anyone care to give any suggestions as to what to expect and what there is to do when I'm off the river?

If you're into backpacking Paria Canyon to the southest of Paige a little bit (just north of Marble Canyon) is one of the areas premier trails. Beware though, it is about a 40 miler (I think) but February might be a decent time to do it. Aside from that....I really don't know, but here is a link that might help:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...&t=p&z=10&om=1
    Leave No Trace

expect it to be cold and uncrowded.
    hire a guide or rent a boat to get upstream fr the best fishing.

or you can fish the walkin area.

http://www.leesferry.com/

Rebelfly -

Go to www.summitpost.org - go to Featured Pages on their home page - go to Paria Canyon / Vermilion Cliffs - scroll down to the North Coyote Buttes and click on an image. Then just keep on clicking.

That is probably about 40-50 miles from Lee's Ferry, maybe less. Last summer when we were down that way, you did not need a reservation in the off season to go into the Coyote Buttes area. But check it out before you go, just in case. You can do a dayhike, maybe five to six hours, and see a whole bunch of neat stuff.

One word of caution - don't go there the first day of your trip, or you may never get your fly rod out of the tube.

Enjoy.

John
    The fish are always right.

Try this site for information.

http://www.azflyandtie.com/

I've been there 3 times, Nov guided, Apr guided and Oct walk in. The nymph fishing is awsome there. Make sure you take a guide up river the scenery is spectacular just like fishing in a mini grand canyon. The guide service was great out of Marble Canyon. The fishing in the walk in section was good also and free. Micro egg, pink scuds, san juan worms and tiger midge patterns were the go to flies. The night life there at Marble Canyon Lodge is non existent. Nothing around for miles. The water coming out of the dam is really cold so make sure you wear some warm socks and some good thermals even if the weather warms up. Have a great trip I did.

+ Reply to Thread