Okay, I know this is not fly fishing related. However, there have been threads about dogs and many here have mentioned the close relationships and bonds they have/had with theirs. So this may be of interest.

I recently finished reading the book, WAR DOGS: A History of Loyalty and Heroism. In the Epilogue is a piece by an unknown author titled ?The Creation of Man?s Best Friend?:

God summoned a beast from the field, and He said,
?Behold man is created in My image. Therefore adore him. You shall protect him in the wilderness, shepherd his flocks, watch over his children, accompany him wherever he may go-even into civilization. You shall be his companion, his ally, and his slave.
?To do these things, I endow you with the instincts uncommon to other beasts: Faithfulness, Devotion, and Understanding, surpassing those of man himself. Lest it impair your courage, you shall never foresee your death. Lest it impair your loyalty, you shall be blind to the faults of man. Lest it impair your understanding, you are denied the power of words. Speak to your master only with your mind and through your honest eyes.
?Walk by his side; sleep in his doorway; ward off his enemies; carry his burden; share his affections; love and comfort him. And in return for this, man will fulfill your needs and wants-which shall be only food, shelter, and affection.
?So be silent and be a friend of man. Guide him through the perils along the way to this land I have promised him. This shall be your destiny and your immortality?
The dog heard and was content.

A little P.S.: A few thousand dogs served in Vietnam. None came home!

Allan