+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's Fishing This Winter?

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Default Who's Fishing This Winter?

How many of you are getting out this winter and how are you doing?

(I already know the answer for our friends south of the equator!)

I've been wanting to get out and fish a tailwater nearby (Joe and Jeff have already beat me there) but I'm afraid I'm running out of time before baby #2 comes.

Blog Entries

Smile Who's fishing?

Well the C&R opened here on New Years Day and some gave it try...

I went down to the dock and laid out a series of 8 inch holes through the 32" thick ice every six feet for 100 yards, then I put on my mucklucks and tied on a #42 Snow Flea Parachute. I hit the far hole on the first cast and started a slow retrieve. I had a Burbot, that's an Eelpout to you non-believers, strike hard on the seventh hole, but he straightened out the hook and I lost him between holes six and seven. That was so disheartening I fired up the sauna, opened the Aquaviet and spent the rest of New Years with Mama in the steam. How was your day?http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/i...cons/icon7.gif
    If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go."

Will Rogers

Blog Entries

I would really hate to live anywhere the season wasn't open year-round. As for the fishing, you will have to read the blog, I guess.

DG

Blog Entries

Not bad, but today was just practicing casting and ducking, previously two nice bows to hand and then recycled and three or four hits. Thats it for now will try the Crow later.
    Last edited by flyfishfairwx; 01-06-2008 at 03:17 AM.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Blog Entries

I fish all year round basicallly. and I have been doing quite well if I do say so myself.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Fished today but not for trout. Caught a lot of stripe, yellow bass a few crappie and lm bass and a sauger. I fish year round, mainly warmwater. Caught a few smaller striper last weekend. One thing a like abouot TN is you can always find something that is wanting to be caught. Hope things work out so you can get out too.

Good luck,
    Gary

Fished the South Fork of the Snake yesterday for a while. First day that the temps got higher than the low 20's since Christmas Eve ( see Fishing Reports ). Lots of new snow, unmarked except for deer and moose tracks, in the woods I walk through to get to the river. Actually had clear skies for a while and some real warmth from the sun.

The water was running clear, with no slush ice. But there was quite a buildup of shelf ice, and a fair amount of it breaking off and floating through the area I was fishing. Made for some interesting wading, being forced somewhat further out into the current than usual.

Fishing was really slow, due to the colder water temps. Almost have to hit them on the nose to get them to take anything. Had one nice brown on and off, and that was it. But it was great to be out.

Around here, we have a lot of water that is open year round, or most of the year when you include our winter stream season. The only month I have not fished in the past five years was August of last year. Our winter, spring and summer were so dry and the summer so hot that by mid June our streams were already down to about 40-50% of normal late August flows, so I just put the rod away the first week of July and didn't get back out until mid September when the water had cooled down.

Any day that the high temp gets into the upper 20's or higher, and the wind is not howling, some fish around here will get something to look at. Whether or not they will take it is another matter. Looking forward to some good days to go with the slow ones.
    The fish are always right.

I enjoy winter fishing as the crowds have dwindled down. I mainly go after trout in CT and Steelhead in western NY when I'm up there for college. Actually the crowds increase as the Steelies come in; those crazy New Yorkers. It's been a slow winter for me this season, exams have eaten up most of my time. I'm on break now though so I've gotten a few days of fishing in. Extreme cold also keeps me indoors and there's quite a bit of that up in Buffalo. I'm really looking forward to this thaw coming into the east this week.

9. Default

Been fishing the bow a lot this winter so far,
    was out wenesday, and it was stellar, ended with about 10..and as you all know Bow river fish, are big ;P

I have been out twice in the last week for about 4 hours. Nothing to show for it yet.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

+ Reply to Thread