+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I absolutely hate about FAOL

Hybrid View

Default What I absolutely hate about FAOL

got your attention didn't I. There is just one thing I hate about this place but lets start at the beginning.
    I first came to this site by way of al cambell's fly tying lessons. figured I would join so I could pick up a few tips and tricks on fly fishing and tying. Made a few posts blew off a little steam and then it happened. Bought some things from one of the members here I think it was ducksterman and made a friend, sent some products to another member and made another friend. Joined a few swaps and made a few more friends. starting picking up some good technics and made more friends. Starting posting a few things that actually helped someone out and made even more friends. Started getting PM's. started wrapping fly rods, made more friends. Shared in the pain, suffering, and pure joy of members here and made even more friends. Now about this time you are going ok BOB what is the problem?

I have made all these friends on line and the chances of meeting them in person is slim to none. That is what I hate about FAOL - we are scattered all over the world not just the U.S. I will never get the opertunity to share a river, lake, pond, tying bench, or a meal or even a cup of coffee with 99% of the people I have come to know and admire here. Many of you when I have had a very bad day will post something that will make me laugh my you know what off. You have all been great and I guess I will just have to settle for words on the monitor. Thanks everyone for your friendship and kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by harleybob87 View Post
    got your attention didn't I. There is just one thing I hate about this place but lets start at the beginning.
    I first came to this site by way of al cambell's fly tying lessons. figured I would join so I could pick up a few tips and tricks on fly fishing and tying. Made a few posts blew off a little steam and then it happened. Bought some things from one of the members here I think it was ducksterman and made a friend, sent some products to another member and made another friend. Joined a few swaps and made a few more friends. starting picking up some good technics and made more friends. Starting posting a few things that actually helped someone out and made even more friends. Started getting PM's. started wrapping fly rods, made more friends. Shared in the pain, suffering, and pure joy of members here and made even more friends. Now about this time you are going ok BOB what is the problem?

I have made all these friends on line and the chances of meeting them in person is slim to none. That is what I hate about FAOL - we are scattered all over the world not just the U.S. I will never get the opertunity to share a river, lake, pond, tying bench, or a meal or even a cup of coffee with 99% of the people I have come to know and admire here. Many of you when I have had a very bad day will post something that will make me laugh my you know what off. You have all been great and I guess I will just have to settle for words on the monitor. Thanks everyone for your friendship and kindness.
    Funny you bring this up, because today at the Northern Ohio Fly Tying Expo there was a bunch of us talking about coming to the Idaho Fish In this year. Not sure if it will work out for all of us, but looks like you might get to meet a few of us after all. BTW, I agree that online relationships limit face to face contact, but there are still ways in which we can enrich each others lives.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Yeah, Bob, I think you need to wander up to Lowell and meet some of the gang. Maybe you can watch Joe and me argue about Marvin!

Good folks here at FAOL, and the vast majority of the ones I have met in person are worth the wait.

Dennis

Last edited by ducksterman; 01-09-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Thumbs up

harleybob,
    Very well said. Thanks and Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Blog Entries

my family calls y'all my "invisible friends." may not be much "substance" on line, but there is a whole lot of sharing and caring that has the same effect.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Blog Entries

Yep your entirely right.
    I get to meet quite a few of us at the fish-ins but not hardly enough. It is a bit frustrating but never fear I expect to win the lottery almost any day now so I will be able to travel extensivly and meet everybody on this wonderful site.

Someday I'd like to meet Dshock and let the air out of his tires, put tacks on duckstermans seat, crazy glue Jack Hise shoes to the floor. Alas I may never get the chance.
    I'm hoping Betty's hats will help some of us identify a fellow faoler out on stream or at the lake so we can meet that way. Wouldn't that be ever so cool?
    Still and all I really do feel that in a way I have met you all thru your posts and in the Chat room. I too smile inside and feel good when I recognise a familiar name show up in the forums.

Still its not all bad , I did get to meet Superman.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

"Someday I'd like to meet Dshock and let the air out of his tires, put tacks on duckstermans seat, crazy glue Jack Hise shoes to the floor. Alas I may never get the chance."

Gnu Bee Flyer,
    If you will let me move in with you this spring, I will allow you to let the air out of my tires! Then I can have free rent and get to fish in Canada. You can even supply ALL the flies!
    It's a Win Win situation!

You dream of Crazy Gluing Jack's shoes to the floor too?????
    Last edited by DShock; 01-06-2008 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Editing is my life!
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

THANKFULLY...................... I, "escaped" GnuBee's LIST!! Which, of course, only PROVES what I've known all along.................... "I'm cuter, nicer, sweeter, more sedate, quieter, coyer and far shyer, than Jack H., Ducksterman and DShock put together!

However, if the ONLY thing you two can think of, that's Jack's you'd like to "super glue to the floor", is his SHOES................... gads......even I CAN BE more "imaginative" than that!?!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mr. harleybob I feel the exact same way as you do about this great place we know as FAOL. I have my few friends here around home and my family. But I feel I have a second bunch of friends and family here at FAOL. And I hope you all do not mind me calling you my friends even thought we have never met. I have been involved with a few things here on this site that I have to say changed my life in the way I think about the troubles we face in life. And if I should go to my grave tomorrow I will take a little piece of each and everyone of you with me in my heart.

Rocky

+ Reply to Thread