+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's with all the "kill"ing?

Default What's with all the "kill"ing?

I've wondered about this one for some time now.

What is the meaning of "-kill" attached to river and place names in and around the north-eastern United States? I'm talking about names like Battenkill, Catskill, Beaverkill, etc. Is the "-kill" of historical or linguistic significance? Or did they simple kill beavers, and cats (and battens?(lol)) in these places?

Just curious.

RW here,

I believe it stems from the Dutch for river, stream, creek, channel, etc. and the early settlers of the northeastern part of the country.

For instance, the Catskills was shortened from the original Dutch, Katterskill, named for all the moutain lions that roamed the mountains back in colonial days.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 17 February 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

I think Royal W is pulling your waders. "kill", as in Skuylkill Expressway, the legendary fiasco of a roadway in Philly that follows the river of same name, has two related definitions, namely, "rage" and "wanna go to Idaho". Visitors to the Beaverkill in the Catskills, standing shoulder to shoulder, stuffed with Roscoe Diner donuts, and waiting for Psilotreta caddis flies to hatch could be heard yelling kill, kill, kill. To escape the feelings of "rage" they "moved to Idaho" and that name has been given to many crowded rivers in the Northeast, Battenkill, Paulinskill, Letortskill and Yellow Breecheskill, to name a few. In the West, we have the Madisonkill, Silvercreekskill and a few others that I just can't seem to remember. Perhaps our gang can come up with some others if they have some time to ... never mind. RR

4. Default

I was born and raised in Kentucky and a commonly used reference to places there was "Lick." It was used to indicate areas of naturally occuring salt deposits that were close to the soil surface. The native americans recognized these locations as great areas to hunt big game. But the two that I get the biggest kick out of are really close to one another geographically in the state. As you drive south on I-75 from Ohio, there are signs directing you to these locations. They are (no kidding)Big Bone Lick which is just down the highway from Beaver Lick. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

"Beaver Lick" LOL. Maybe I'm immature, but I laughed for almost 10 minutes. I keep picturing someone giving directions from those two places, and I cant keep from chuckling.

Thanks, I needed that alot.
    Ben

6. Default

I forgot to mention that Big Bone Lick is also a state park. Go figure??

In Michigan, Interstate 75 exit 69 is "Big Beaver Road". There, I did it and I'm happy for it!! Made National News ya know!!

------------------
    Cactus

If I recall correctly, there's a Fishkill, NY which is south of Poughkeepsie near I-84 and it's an anglicization (sp?)of the Dutch 'vischers kill', or fisher's stream. I think it would make a pretty cool FAOL handle...up for grabs

This thread is just took off in a funny direction. I needed to see some good humor today and this did the trick. I always wondered about those names with -kill on the end since I spent so much time in NJ. Too bad I didnt fly fish back then. This thread brought back a few memories also .

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

While were on this strange subject, what is with the town names ending in BURG. When I was a kid we would come to a little town and my Dad would call it a BURG.
    Any Thoughts???
    Doug WL OR
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread