+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Seasons", by JC

JC's article "Seasons" brought up more memories, of years gone by....

Stores were closed on Sundays, and National Holidays.

Baseball Season started in May, and ended in September.

Football Season started in late September, and ended in late November.

Hockey Season, did not start until the outdoor rinks had ice, and ended when the ice melted in the spring.

Basketball was a winter sport, ending when it was warm enough to play baseball.

People wore dresses and suits to Baseball, Football and Basketball Games. They also dressed up when going out the to the Cinema, to a Resturant, visit the Doctor's Office, to Church, or even going Shopping. "Going Out" was considered a Big Event, something very special.

Stores did not display Christmas items until the day after Thanksgiving.

Stores did not display summer items in February, and winter items not until late October.

Newspapers were delivered by boys (not grown adults). Delivering newpapers to the door, instead of the end-of-the drive-way. They were delivered on bicylce or walked carrying a sack. There also was two paper deliveries each day, one in the morning and another in the evening.

Town's had "Farmer's Markets" where you could buy local produce, freshly picked that morning.

The Gas Stations, was not just a place to get your car fueled, they had mechanices to do oil changes, and repair your vehicle. All pumps were full service, and your windows were cleaned, oil level and air tire pressures were checked.

There were stores within walking distance of your house, and streets had sidewalks to walk on.

Children walked to the small school in their neighborhood, instead of standing on corners to ride halfway across the county (on a bus) to a giant school building.

Lakes were not wall-to-wall lakeside recreation homes.

Largest motor on a boat was a 7 horsepower Johnson Outboard (or an Evinrude).
    There were no ATV, Jet Ski's, or Speedboats(which I find to be annoying to everyone else trying to enjoy the outdoors).

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 26 July 2005).]

Steven,

I like your list. Brings back memories for me too. (thanx for the article JC)....

Some "progress" is good.

I remember one they had to stop a hockey game (Kamloops Rockets) so they could open the doors to let the cigarette smoke out, so the players could breath more easily.

Then again, ... I remember when you'd take off your hat while talking to a lady. Folks today don't even take off their sun glasses

Taking a commercial air liner was a wonderful and relaxing experience. Today, ... it's worse than rush hour in LA.

Supper was family time, ... not a biological obligation for fuel.

Gas was 0.495$ cdn/gal.

I suppose we follow the seasons here. Spring is when the salmon arrive (mid june), summer is when the Grisle and sea run trout start taking dries .... fall is when the leaves change color, ... and winter is when the river freezes over, ... hiding it's wonders 'till the next spring.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:234f6]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:234f6]
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread