+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warm Water Fly Fishing, Rochester NY

Default Warm Water Fly Fishing, Rochester NY

Any suggestions on warm water fishing near Rochester, New York? I usually fish trout but most rivers are slow, warm, and low! I have no float tube or boat... just waders. Send me an email if you don't want to post a location. Thanks for any info

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:69da8]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:69da8]

Try the canal!
    There are lots of carp and bass.
    Both will take dries and wooley buggers.

Schoen Place in Pittsford and also
    Printon Park in Fairport. Sometimes
    Bushnell's Basin on Rt. 96 is good
    too.

------------------
    **MW**

Mendon Ponds are fun to fish with a fly rod and popper. Lots of panfish. There are big bass too (if you can get your fly to the right place). Lots of places to fish from shore.

You do not have to give up on trout.

Trout fishing in Powder Mills park (mostly stocked fish) is still ok - beetles, ants and hoppers.

Spring Creek in Caledonia offers very challenging fishing. The water is cold, clear and the fish can see and laugh at you!

[This message has been edited by fpcba (edited 26 July 2005).]

Here are several options:

1. The canal at locks 32 and 33 can get really hot as far as bass fishing. I prefer the spillway at both, and the pond above lock 32. BIG smallies, and some decent largemouth below the 32 spillway.

2. Brighton park - big bass around the weedline, especially in the southwest corner (back and to the right from the entrance).

3. Lac de Ville pond behind Loehmann's plaza. If there's still a "Tops" there, it's directly behind it in a housing complex, right next to the road. Some big bass back in the way when I used to live in Rochester.

4. As mentioned above, Spring Creek with finnicky trout (they like scuds and sow bugs around this time of year, and you better be using 7X or 8X).

5. Oatka Creek, just about anywhere but the farther from the road the better.

6. Irondequoit Creek usually holds up well, and can get fun around the Victor/Fishers area. Some bruisers around both Powder Mills and Linear. If you try Linear, go well upstream, almost to Silver Lake Park (or Silver Creek Park, I don't remember the name).

7. Conesus, Honeoye, and Hemlock Lakes, especially if you rent or have other access to a rowboat/canoe.

8. Mendon Ponds, as mentioned above. Allegedly at least one of the ponds has trout as it feeds into Irondequoit Creek (perhaps urban legend, I've never confirmed).

9. Take 1.5-hr drive and hit the Cohocton around Bath. Good trout fishing from time to time.

10. Some of the ponds that buffer Lake Ontario - like Buck Pond. Worth a shot when no one else is around to drop a 1/2 pound sinker in the water.

I think Carl Coleman's fly shop has a stream report on their website - - -

TL---

Marty

Wow! Thanks for all the information. Usually it's tough getting guys to tell about fishing locations.
    I went trout fishing Sunday at Oatka and the water was real low and slow. I caught a nice trout along with a smaller trout and a sun fish! From what I here Spring Creek is very low too and Irondequoit Creek is petty darn small for my liking.... though I have caught a bunch of fish there, it's not quit as enjoyable for some reason. Thanks again

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:5280d]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:5280d]

+ Reply to Thread