+ Reply to Thread

Thread: J. Kennedy Fisher rods

Hybrid View

Default J. Kennedy Fisher rods

Hello,
    I have a couple of Fisher factory built graphite fly rods, and was wondering if there are any Fisher afficionados out there that know about what year these rods were manufactured.

1) 8' 4wt 4pc Original - gloss charcoal gray blank, spigot ferrules
    2) 9' 5/6wt 6pc / 7'6" 5/6wt 5pc Classic Graphite combo (7 total pieces) - gloss dark green blank, spigot ferrules

I really like the 8' 4wt Original....it's a great light trout and panfish rod. Great for small to medium sized cutthroat streams and rivers, super fun with dries and wets, but will also do nymphs and split shot, as well as small streamers when called upon.

I just obtained the 7pc combo....it was factory made with a second butt section, so that it can be a 9' 6pc rod or a 7'6" 5pc rod....pretty cool, actually! It seems to be more of a 5wt after my initial test casting, but also will throw a 6wt just fine as well, especially in closer quarters. I think I could do bluegill to bass, small trout to big trout, on small waters or big waters with this combo rod.

Anyway, both of these rods are medium action, super smooth and accurate, yet will effortlessly toss a lot of line when called upon. I see a Fisher Original model pop up every so often, as well as an occasional fiberglass rod (very sought after), but can't recall seeing a Classic Graphite in recent years at all.

I've really gotten into fiberglass fly rods as of late, but do appreciate these Fisher graphite rods.

Does anyone have any old Fisher catalogs, or otherwise know approximately when these rods were manufactured? I'm reasonably sure it was in the 1980's to mid-1990's, but would appreciate any further info.

- Tom

Tom;
    Sorry I don't have any real catalogs for your brand of rods but I did contact a few buddies that collect and sell antique fly gear.
    About all of them concurred, that; "They're great rods, real classics". None of them seemed to know much about the 9' you have, but they all agreed, that the 8' x 4pc.x 4wt. was made from around 1980 to 1983. Two, of the four I talked to, claimed that your 8' x4wt.x 4pc. "To the right collector looking for that particular model", should bring between $280.00 to $325.00. In good, to, excellent condition.
    That's about, all, the info I could dig up!!
    Last edited by flybinder; 01-04-2008 at 01:36 AM.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Fisher rods

Go to the link below and ask for Big Al. It is a Dutch oven cooking site. Al used to represent Fisher and his rods. Can probably tell about all you want to know. I own two of them and love them. Hope this helps.

XCaddis

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dutchovencooking/messages

Hi Leocreek,
    I have an 89-90 Fisher catalogue. It lists the multi piece rod as a "Universe Combo" Model number FR75608. Does this sound like your rod? The "original Series" combo is listed as a 9' & 6'9' combo. In the 5/6 wt the model number is FR45608. I have only one Fisher rod, the GT-40.
    Hope that this helps.
    Dick xfishcop

Default Fisher Fly Rods

Thanks for the replies so far!

Xcaddis: I sent Al an email and will post here if I get a response from him.

Dick: It sounds like my Classic Graphite may be a successor, or predecessor, to the Universe model. In the model FR75608, I believe the FR is for Fly Rod, the 7 for the total # of sections, the 56 for the line weight 5/6.....not sure what the 08 designates.

I know that Fisher made some extreme multi-piece rods for that era, including convertible length combo fly rods, and they were really quite the pioneers in a way. Their fiberglass rods are considered some of the best around, and they made blanks for Winston, Hardy, and a wide variety of other big name rod companies.

Anyway, I guess I'm finding myself hungry for more info and history on J. Kennedy Fisher fly rods. I'll relay any info I can get.

- Tom

Default Fisher

I heard back from the guy I purchased the Classic Graphite combo rod from:
    - He got it from a friend in 1988 or 1989 who owned a fly shop, who was trying to become a Fisher dealer, and the rod was provided to the fly shop as a "demonstrator"
    - It is not marked as a Demo in any fashion, however, and is in very pristine condition
    - Very sweet and versatile rod with nice balance!
    - Anyway, I now believe that this is the predecessor to the Universe combo model that started showing up in Fisher catalogs in 1989 - 1990

Following up on the info from Xcaddis: I also emailed Al Wilkie, who was a Fisher factory rep in late 1980's to early 1990's. He said he found a 1989-1990 Fisher catalog, as well as copy of a Fisher flyer, that he is being kind enough to mail to me.

Tom - I built rods using Fisher blanks starting about 1983. At that time, the co. was owned by Joe Fisher. I met Joe in Dec 1983. Graphite blanks were identified by 5 numbers: 1st number was number of pieces. 2nd and 3rd numbers were line weights. All graphite blanks had 2 line wts. 2/3, 4/5, 5/6, etc. The last 2 numbers were the length in inches, last two digits. For example - 08 - 108 inches or 9' 14 was a 9 1/2' . Fiberglass blanks were four digits. 2057 for example. 2 pc. 5 wt. 7 foot. 2057 1/2 same but 7 1/2' I have several fiberglass blanks and no they are not for sale!!! I'm not good with dates but I think Joe sold the business in the mid 90's and I believe the new owner just called the co. Fisher. All J. Kennedy Fisher blanks were gloss charcoal. Colored blanks and any GT number were later blanks. I recall Jow only making 2, 3 and 4 piece blanks. The 6 and 7 piece may be the newer co. I stopped using Fisher at that time as the quality was lacking. Joe's tapers and ferrules were the best! The blanks were so very straight. I never had a customer break a rod using it. I still use my old rods. The glass rods are unbelievable! I hope this was helpful. I need to think about the years and I might be able to piece it together.d

+ Reply to Thread