+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finish for Acrylics

Hybrid View

Question Finish for Acrylics

Now that I have the reelseat down close to size, after wet sanding with 600 wet, what finish do I use to get a gloss finish.Is there a different approach I should be doing to finish off the seat.On my wood seats I have finished off with Hut wax high gloss. This is all new to me, any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wes.

Wes,

Very sharp reel seat. I have made a few of these, and I polish them out with 1500 grit wet/dry paper...I use it WET. It should come out like glass, and there is no need to put anything on it. It's plastic, so it does not require any sealer.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Thumbs up

Thank you Joe, for the fast reply, and the information on what grit I should be finishing off the seat with.The blank was started off with Caribbean Blue 3/4 x 3/4 x 5" That I picked up at Wood Crafters on sale.After I saw your beautiful work on the grandchildren's rods I thought I would look good on my grandson's Batson RX 6 blue blank once I finish off a Three piece travel rod in process.
    Wes.

I just finished off a simulat reel seat in Green swirl for a 7 pc blank. I wet sanded with 2000 grit I bought from the local auto zone store. My hobby shop had some micro paper that went up to 15000 grit. Wet sanded with it and then buffed with a plastic polish on a flannel pad. I don't think I can get much more shine out it. I'll post pics when the rod is done. Hopefully next weekend.

+ Reply to Thread