+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BIIX 7wt lines for Smallies ?

Dear Ken,

Put an 8 weight line on it like I told you to do in the first place.

Seven weights are trout rods. At least they used to be.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

As others have stated, the BIIx seems to be rated correctly for its line weight. Mine didn't mind the S.A. GPX but for some reason seemed over loaded with the correct weight Rio Grand.
    The GPX and Rio Selective Trout work quite well on the 6 weight BIIx I use for smallies and streamers but also dry fly fishing in big water or in windy conditions.

As for the S.A. XXD being pushed on you... I find it very similiar to the S.A. GPX.
    The difference being a longer head for carrying more line when false casting, a very thin running line for shooting through the guides better and a greater overall length.
    The running line is the biggest problem I have with it. It is so thin it doesn't seem to float well, it hovers IN the water instead.
    Why he would recommend it for your uses is beyond me. From my personal experience with the mentioned lines I would opt for the GPX or Selective Trout instead.

I haven't fished or cast that rod, but will make recommendations based on multiple opinions posted saying that it is not suited to overlining.

I am a fan of the XXD line, but don't think of it as an ideal line for larger flies, due to its long front taper. It casts like a dream, and mends and roll casts well for me. I am looking into purchasing a 7wt myself for similar purposes and have decided on Cortland's PRECISION STILLWATER TROUT FLOATING line. It has a shorter front taper and is front weighted to shoot well. If you like, you could even get it in a 6.5, 7, or 7.5 weight, as they make all three in that line. Here's a link [url=http://www.thefullcreel.com/files/index.php?id=207:b0051]http://www.thefullcreel.com/files/index.php?id=207[/url:b0051] (if you ask that retailer, he can get the odd sizes for you)

I was considering a totally different rod, the ECHO 7wt, but it sounds like line matching would be about the same for the two rods.

Ken, RW here,

For a 6 or 7 wt., casting big bugs for smallies, I'd go with Cortland's WF7F Rocket Taper. It was made for just that kind of fishing. I'm a light tackle nut but when I go on my two or three trips for steelhead every fall it's what I use and it casts great.

P.S. Not to rain on your parade, but for smallies I can't see going that heavy. I can see it for largemouths in weedy, snag-infested waters where they generaly hang out; but the smallies I catch here in Maine generally fight it out in rocky, clearwater lakes, and I've taken many up to 4 pounds with my 1 wt. casting #10,#12 and#14 wet flies. What a blast!!

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

7 weights are trout rods?Damn,and i thought 4 weights were large.I have to agree try the rio grand or the sa gpx lines.Heard a older man say one time that he compared flyrod weights to conventional rod actions,3 weight equals a ultralite,4 weight -light,5 weight-medlight,so on so forth.So that would make a 7 weight comparable to a med-hvy rod,guess you can look at it that way,i'd never use a med-hvy baitcast rod for smallmouths,maybe largemouths in heavy cover but thats another story!

Here's a tip you might be interested in
    [url=http://www.smallmouthangler.com/html/fish_tips.html:cb2f4]http://www.smallmouthangler.com/html/fish_tips.html[/url:cb2f4]

I'm not endorsing overlining 7 weight rods as Holschlag does, but it's something to think about.

He also expresses (elsewhere) the opinion that the old bass bug taper hasn't been improved on much in recent years -- for throwing bass poppers and the like.

I recently bought Tim Holschlag's book, and it's excellent. It's self-published, and he sent the book out before he received my check and it got to me promptly -- a nice touch.

In my opinion, the quality of the book did not suffer from the self-publishing process.

Reading his book made me realize I've underestimated smallmouth fishing -- apologies in advance to smallie enthusiasts.

Based on what a lot of you have suggested, think I will go with a Rio Selective Trout in 7wt ........ I DO Believe in Overlining, when necessary, however, the Winston BIIX does not need overlining so I'll stick with 7wt lines for a 7wt rod.
    Make sense to you folks?
    Ken

+ Reply to Thread