+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIIX 7wt lines for Smallies ?

Default BIIX 7wt lines for Smallies ?

Wondering what line you use on the Winston BIIX for 7wt when fishing for Smallmouth Bass ...... what line do you find throws these bugs and yet does not overpower the rod.

A lot of 7wt rods really require 'overlining" before they work optimally and are pleasant to use, the Sage Xi2 for instance (in my opinion) ..... the BIIX rods do not seem to require this overlining and sometimes work poorly if overlined much.

I have a Rio "Clouser" 7wt line and wonder if it would work well on the BIIX 9ft 7wt rod ????? Anbody know?

Thanks,
    Ken

Ken, ...
    A lot of 7wt rods really require 'overlining" before they work optimally and are pleasant to use...
    I find, ... when I'm casting distance with a 7wt, I'll UNDERline one sometimes to not OVERload the rod. Weird eh, ... I guess we all have different styles and preferences.

I cast BIG flies, ... mices, #4-#6 muddlers, Woolies etc, ... so I figure these CAN'T be smaller than the flies you'll use for smallies.

Normaly, ... I'll use the line designated on the rod and adjust the leader to throw bombs or turn over big dries.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:7ed3f]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:7ed3f]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 22 July 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

I like my BIIX 7wt with either a 7wt Triangle Taper or a 6wt SA GPX. Cheers.

[This message has been edited by crcaddis (edited 22 July 2005).]

I cannot recommend the Triangle Taper line for tossing big bugs....that just isn't its forte. Any bassbug or pike line for your rod weight should do a decent job.

Dealer suggested the Clouser would be a little too heavy for the BIIX and instead suggested the SA "XXD" line, which, he described as some what of an "elongated bass bug taper" that is not as radially heavy as the Closer.

Try the SA Mastery XXD line.

I have that rod in 6 and 8 weights and use Rio Clouser lines in the rated weights to throw typical big bass flies. The combination works well and I agree with David D, there is no need to over-line these rods at all.

[This message has been edited by David Higley (edited 22 July 2005).]

From what a Dealer told me ,,, the Sci- Angler "DDX" line may be just the ticket on the BIIX 7wt.
    Any of you use this line on this rod?

Try a Rio Grand 7 wgt.

From my short experience the B2X is a rod not fitted for the fast arm swingers (tip action) as previously mentioned. I might be crazy but the Winston B2x reminds me very much of the Sage DS2 series. They both feel the same when casting. And I overline my DS2 by one weight on floaters ...not sink tip or sinking. I have only lawn casted the B2x ...I had a hard time with it...felt heavy....and I did not like the lightweight graphite reel seat, prefer a solid reel seat w/ two lockijng rings.....the test reel (tibors) always had play in them. Just my .01 worth

+ Reply to Thread