+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing in Central/SW FL

Default Fishing in Central/SW FL

I'm heading down to a conference in mid February. I'll be starting in Orlando and spending some time in Ft Myers as well. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go or what to fish for at that time of year? Anyone interested in getting together to do some fishing or possibly splitting a charter? It looks like most of the charters will take at least 2 fishermen.

Rick

Check some of the old FAOL Florida Fish-In pages for info. Usually everything depends on the weather, but there's lots of water & it's not all wadeable. Look at the FAOL Saltwater Forum for Capt Tonys' Lemon Bay reports & the almost having all the details of another SW Florida Fish-In on board !

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    I'm heading down to a conference in mid February. I'll be starting in Orlando and spending some time in Ft Myers as well. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go or what to fish for at that time of year? Anyone interested in getting together to do some fishing or possibly splitting a charter? It looks like most of the charters will take at least 2 fishermen.

Rick
    Rick,
    I lived a few minutes North of Fort Myers at Burnt Store Marina for several years. I highly recommend fishing the Pine Island Sound area which is inside the barrier islands to the west of Fort Myers. There are many good flyfishing guides in the area and I recommend using one of them. Call the Marina Habormaster at (941) 637-0083 and he will put you in touch with a qualified guide.

Not knowing where you're staying in Ft Myers, Burnt Store might be over an hour's drive, but a number of members of the flyfishing club http://www.chff.info live in that area & fish there almost daily wading off the sandbar that runs the east side of Charlotte Harbor. Pine Island might be a little closer, or renting a kayak out at Ding Darling for the no-motor zone on Sanibel might be closer to your accomodations.

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone have any suggestions for some freshwater fishing around the Orlando area? I'll have all day Monday and Tuesday to fish so I could travel a bit if needed.

I've done some searching around online and have identified some potential guides for Bass fishing in Orlando and saltwater in either Tampa Bay or Mosquito Lagoon. Anybody out there in FAOLand interested in splitting a charter on the 11th or 12th?

+ Reply to Thread