+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new to tying

Hybrid View

Default new to tying

like to know whats the best way to learn books video open to your thinking

Quote Originally Posted by mudflaper View Post
    I learned by picking a pattern that I wanted to tie and learning that one pattern. After I knew that one I moved on to another. That's how I collected my materials also.

I attended tying clinics at the local shop, took a tying lesson from a local instructor. I also bought a couple videos, mainly for special stuff like spinning deer hair, and tying Whitlock's NearNuff patterns.

The Beginner Tying section here has great materials also, including patterns with pictures along with the descriptions.

-wayne

Waynep has pretty well covered your question, Mudflap,especially about "garnering your materials". A lot of beginners buy "fly tying kits", which for the most part is FINE, but only to a degree.
    The "better kits", (if you don't already, own one), will have your basics needed for tying the most popular of patterns. But so many of them, also have a lot of materials that even an experienced tier would never use.

So, the suggestion of "picking a pattern, then gathering materials for that one pattern", can save you some money in the short term.

But, I mainly want to also back up his suggestion of "TAKING LESSONS"!! I wish, I HAD, back when I first started tying. I've tied, now, for around 25 plus years and I'll easily say that "I wasted my first 2 years of tying", in untold expense and the throwing away of more hooks and materials than I want to admit to!
    All, because I had no idea what I was doing and hadn't,(and didn't), bother to ask for any help or advice, from those that knew how to tie.

"Tying flies", speaking from my own standpoint, is probably 50% of my enjoyment of this obsession we all suffer from."Catching a fish, on a fly, I've tied" makes it all worth it! So, since you've obviously chosen to take the plunge into fly tying, save yourself a ton of grief, money and frustration and take tying lessons from a local shop, or even a fellow fishing buddy, if they already tie.

And, as Wayne also pointed out............. this site has an EXCELLENT free data base for tying at all levels of skill!
    Good luck and above all, HAVE FUN!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mudflaper View Post
    taking classes at your local fly shop is the best way to learn fly tying. the instructor will lay out all of the tools associated and should describe their uses. then the instructor will go into tying materials and their intended uses. etc etc etc

idabelangler ... the only thing I can add to that is, AMEN!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I got my new H&H catalog recently
    Ron had some good advice for begining tyers

Getting Started in Fly Tying presented by Hook & Hackle
    Last edited by dudley; 12-29-2007 at 02:41 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I teach a Beginner's Fly Tying class and that is where I think all new people to fly tying should start. A good beginner's fly tying class should teach you the fly tying language, the basic tools needed and teach you how to do all the different style bodies that you will find on any fly pattern. Once you have this class behind you, all you will need to do is go to FAOL's fly tying tutorials and begin with the Beginners section and go through it from the beginning to the end and then move on to the Intermediate section and then to the Advanced section. Make sure and not skip around in them. Start at the beginning and do not go to the next step until you have mastered the step you are on. I would not recommend a fly tying kit. In place of the kit, I would recommend you to purchase a fly kit instead. In a fly pattern kit, you will recieve all the material, hooks, thread and step-by-step (with pictures) tying instructions needed to tie a dozen flies of a particular pattern. These fly kits cover dry flies, wet flies, warm water popper patterns, etc. When you have finished tying a dozen of a particular pattern you will know how to tie that particular pattern plus you will know what tying material you will need to purchase to tie more of that pattern. The kit even sends you a fly already tied so that you will have a visual sample to see as you follow the tying instructions. Your only expense will be to purchase the basic tying tools needed to begin tying flies. Fly tying books and videos are good, but, are more valuable to the beginner after they have taken a beginner tying class.

Most fly tying shops have the fly pattern tying kits and they go by different names. The ones at my local fly shop are called, "Fly In A Box".

Hopefully, this info helps.

Quote Originally Posted by idabelangler View Post
    Yep hours on end spent there my self. And when this question is asked on other boards thats exactly where I send em also.
    Last edited by jjtroutbum; 12-29-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by idabelangler View Post
    Being new at tying I took this advice and just tied the EZ Nymph ( Pheasant Tail ) and I must say it turned out fantastic. Very easy to tie with Al's great instructions. It really got me excited!
    Remember we all live down stream

+ Reply to Thread