+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandsons thread on his first brown trout.

Hybrid View

Default Grandsons thread on his first brown trout.

Saturday, Sunday and Monday my grandpa, Scorcho and I went up to the High Sierra's. We went to the Lower Owens river so that I can catch my first brown. At first I thought I would freeze.
    But I was only cold a few times. Scorcho got a few river samples so we can see what flies to use. There was; stone flies, caddis and may flies.

I started with a small size 22 black midge nymph. I hooked up right away
    This was my first fish, a rainbow trout. I caught rainbow trout all day! No brown trout.
    The second day all rainbows no brown trout.

The third day I finaly caught my first BROWN TROUT! The fly i used was a red glass bead head black WD40 size 22. My grandpa had 4 of these flies and i lost 3 that fish broke off. When I caught my first brown I got one of the red glass bead head fly i had lost the day before.

I was so happy i was shocked the whole day and became an offical net boy for my grandpa for the rest of the day. Here are the flies we used size 22,24 and a salmon egg . I hooked a monster rainbow and it bent the hook! Gabriel.

Congratulations young man. Your grandfather must be proud.

Gabriel,

That is great...we are all proud of you...keep up the good work

A very nice presentation too!

It looks like you had a great day with your Grandfather and its a memory you will treasure the rest of your life. Im 50 years old an one of the first memories I have is fishing with my Grandfather an casting his cane rod. I didnt catch any trout that day but I did manage to catch one small mouth.

Smile

Gabriel,
    Thank you for your great Report & photos! You are a lucky kid to be able to go fishing with your Grandpa. You are going to grow up to be an excellent fly fisherman. You collected samples from the stream, so you would know what flies to use and it paid off because you caught your first brown trout. The fly that has it's hook bent represents the one that got away and that's life when it comes to fishing. Your Grandpa must be very proud of you!
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Looks to me like you've got an awesome teacher. Awesome picture of the aquatic insects! I absolutely love that one. Great report. Thanks for sharing.
    Leave No Trace

Thumbs up

Good on ya, Gabriel!!! You are a pro already, maybe even the next Lefty!!!!!

Keep on fishing and be kind to your Grandpa!

Guy

Gabriel,

Very nice fish! I have been fly fishing for over 30 years and I would be happy to have caught any of the fish you posted pictures of! You are lucky to be able to fish with your grandpa. Walk into the wind young man.
    Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Thumbs up

Gabriel,

Wow! Good on you! You did your grandpa proud! Nice catches! The Sierra's is a wonderful place to fish. It is where I learned to fish with my grandpa and dad. It is a place I will take my kids to learn. Thank you for sharing your fishing trip. Hope you catch many more browns in the years to come.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Way to go, Gabriel !!!!
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread