Thread: ANOTHER first fly rod

Threaded View

Default ANOTHER first fly rod

Hi all...

I finally went our and purchased my first flt rod kit. I got the H&H 7'9" 4 piece 3 wt. Looks like great value for the $$$$. I'm not new to rod building...I've probably built 75 or so rods..all of them being being saltwater casting or surf fishing rods....big stuff (up to 11-1/2 ft) using mostly C & D size thread. I've never attempted anything as fine as a 3 wt fly rod. I have a few questions (hope you guys have some time ). The first has to do with splining the sections. I know how to spline longer rods, but am having a hell of a time with these short sections. I highly doubt if splining the bottom two (heaviest) sections is even possible, given how firm they are. The other two sections are really giving me trouble. Is it even necessary to spline these sections? Second question has to do with thread size. Can I get away with using a 'C' size thread? The reason i ask is because I have a spool of 'C' thread that almost perfectly matches the gunmetal color of the Orvis Battenkill Disc I plan putting on this rod. The closest rod building retailer to me is approx 30 miles...I guess I'm just too lazy to make the drive . I've always used Flex-Coat products, so that's not an issue. One more question (promise..for now). Would it be prudent to "knock-off" the sharp edge of the grip that is right above the reel seat. Seems like a few licks of sandpaper would alleviate a potential chipping problem. Well, thanks for your time. I'm sure someone here can help. Thanks again.

Ken

P.S. Where is a good source for a serrated winding check? I use Mudhole sometimes but was wondering if there is a place that caters to fly-rod builders?
    Last edited by ausable_ny; 12-27-2007 at 07:26 PM.