+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: slip on leader loops

Default Braided loops

Dick,

I see your point, but the reason I place a second band of thread at the tip of the fly line is so that the actual base of the doubled braid, where the braid is the stiffest, does not pull away from the tip of the fly line, causing a hinge point when casting. If you can keep the tip of the fly line and the back end of the loop in the braid, you won't experience the hinging effect.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnect leaders............... best thing since sliced bread!
    I have had these come appart. They look like indicators and and not complimentary to my casting efforts.

Here is an animated link to a perfection loop and nail knot: http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html
    Last edited by Clay; 01-25-2008 at 06:20 PM.

3. Default Furled Link

I make a "furled link' out of 6/0 Uni-Thread.
    I like the link to be at least as many strands as the heaviest furled leader I might use on that line.
    My links are made "level" (no taper), and have loops at both ends.
    The link can be made any length, but just a few inches is good for a leader well matched to the line.
    A long link can be a good way to make a light leader work with a heavy line.
    A pink link makes a good indicator.
    I furl the the link on a one peg furling board setup, and just twist the whole length from one end.
    Connect the link to the fly line with a Castwell, and the leader to the link with loop to loop.

That is a very interesting concept....may just have to experiment with that a little.
    Thanks for sharing....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

hello everyone...I have used the nylon loop myself...it was so so and eventually broke on me...am back to the standard nail knot and I will say its NEVER failed...I find its the best for me partly because of my long leaders...I wouldnt be able to get the loop up thru the guides when casting or when landing a fish..

+ Reply to Thread